cherry ale/brandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cherry ale/brandy

I am,making Ben Turner's recipe for 'cherry brandy' in which ale is re-fermented on cherries. I've done the same recipe with wine and its fantastic. However, for the ale he doesn't say whether you add priming sugar when you use ale. Any ideas?
    Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
    Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
    Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

I don't have his book but if you can give us some more information we might be able to help...

If cherry ale is your end product then I would imagine it would be fizzy so yes you would prime but it depends on your method really as to whether you add any more sugar...

Comment

Ok, here's the recipe:

"Cherry Brandy" B C A Turner (Boots book)

2 1/4 lb morello cherries, fresh/frozen/bottled/canned (pips removed)
      3 bottles of wine made from red grape juice concentrate (or 4 bottles home brewed ale
      18oz sugar
      1 tsp tartaric acid (2tsp if using beer)
      1/2 tsp tannin
      yeast nutrient
      port yeast/ high alcohol yeast

Dissolve half the sugar in the wine and pour onto the cherries
      Add the acid, tannin, nutrient and yeast
      Ferment in a warm place, stirring daily and adding adding extra sugar from time to time to keep the SG around 1.020
      Continue fermentation as long as possible, then strain the cherries out (and put them in a trifle or tart)
      Rack the wine into bottles and mature for 1 year. "Superb", he says!

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

I have had some success like this.
        Make (or buy) a high alcohol base.
        Steep cherries in it for 4 weeks and a bit of sugar to taste. Rack. Drink. Fall over.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Been there, done that!!!! Lovely

Comment

Originally posted by Emeraldclaire View Post
            Ok, here's the recipe:

"Cherry Brandy" B C A Turner (Boots book)

2 1/4 lb morello cherries, fresh/frozen/bottled/canned (pips removed)
            3 bottles of wine made from red grape juice concentrate (or 4 bottles home brewed ale
            18oz sugar
            1 tsp tartaric acid (2tsp if using beer)
            1/2 tsp tannin
            yeast nutrient
            port yeast/ high alcohol yeast

Dissolve half the sugar in the wine and pour onto the cherries
            Add the acid, tannin, nutrient and yeast
            Ferment in a warm place, stirring daily and adding adding extra sugar from time to time to keep the SG around 1.020
            Continue fermentation as long as possible, then strain the cherries out (and put them in a trifle or tart)
            Rack the wine into bottles and mature for 1 year. "Superb", he says!
            Well it looks like the end result is aimed at something wine/ brandy like regardless of the ingredients so i don't think it should be fizzy...!

Though i know a few who have followed the method outlined by cellar rat and they speak highly of it so I'd go with that one if you still have the choice...

Comment

Working...
            X