Finings - wine vs beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finings - wine vs beer

I sell a variety of wine and beer finings, but the other day I was asked a question I have never thought about before. A customer wanted beer finings (Isinglass, because he is allergic to shellfish) but the only ones I had were Chitosan (from crustaceans). The wine finings were available as Isinglass, or bentonite, but as they say that they are specifically for wine, I was left wondering if it would have made a difference to use wine finings in beer (or vice-versa come to that). Any ideas?
    Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
    Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
    Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

If I recall correctly, isinglass can be used in beer... Never heard of bentonite being used in beer...

Having said that, if beer is made properly and matured appropriately it should not require finings at all...

Comment

Gelatin is the proper finning for beer.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

hmmmmm

The original question was abour someone wanting finings that didnt contain shellfish, It was due to a shellfish allergy so gelatin would work as you say robert

For a vegetarian or vegan I'm afraid gelatin can contain animal products so it might not be the right one in that case

just a thought...

regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

But then again

veggies and vegans likely know that right?
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

...and I seem to think you can get organic gelatin too. I'm sure I've seen a hairy biker with some.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

[QUOTE=Delmonteman;91511 Having said that, if beer is made properly and matured appropriately it should not require finings at all...[/QUOTE]
              True but I think some people are just too impatient and want it to clear faster so they can drink it sooner. Ah, patience...a vital ingredient.
              But is there any reason why you shouldn't use wine finings in beer, or beer finings in wine?
              Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
              Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
              Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                hmmmmm

The original question was abour someone wanting finings that didnt contain shellfish, It was due to a shellfish allergy so gelatin would work as you say robert

For a vegetarian or vegan I'm afraid gelatin can contain animal products so it might not be the right one in that case

just a thought...

regards
                bob
                While it is true that this is a animal based product the finning actually does not become a part of the brew so when consumed there is no animal as a part of the brew. I am not sure of the vegan process as far as using animal parts ETC I know vegans that use manure in their gardens this would be some what along the same lines.But I am a bit unsure about this for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Emeraldclaire View Post
                  True but I think some people are just too impatient and want it to clear faster so they can drink it sooner. Ah, patience...a vital ingredient.
                  But is there any reason why you shouldn't use wine finings in beer, or beer finings in wine?
                  All fining's are a bit harsh and strip a bit when used. Gelatin is just a gentler one.

Comment

Working...
                  X