Quick advice needed! (Maybe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick advice needed! (Maybe)

Hi all, as you probably(or probably don't) know I have jumped into this brewing malarkey with both feet.
    Right now I have a 6 bottle Pinot Grigio kit in a DJ, a 30 bottle kit in a carbon both a couple of weeks from bottling, and have the bottles ready and waiting.

My problem is my beer. I have a 40 pint kit, Donner and Blitzed that has been in the ferm bucket for a week, so according to instructions should now be bottled. (It looks ready and I will take a hydro reading tomorrow)

Now I have an old boots pressure barrel, a spare carboy(glass) and about 20 bottles. I don't drink beer that fast at home, so am worried about using the barrel as I don't want to have to bin half of it.

My question is should I put this initially into the carboy, or could I put half in the barrel and half in bottles .
    Most if not all will definitely be gone by Xmas as long as its ok

What are your thoughts chaps?

Regards

Matt

Options are:

1. get down the bottle bank and pilfer some using bent coat hanger (see cellar rat for the tools).
    2. ask nicely at your local pub for bottles.
    3. buy and drink some plastic bottles of fizzy water / lemonade. (lidls do 1.5l fizzy water for 29p that is just right for 3 pints ish of beer). Prime and bottle the remainder in these.
    4. buy some expensive coopers 500ml bottles and bottle in these instead of the above.

if you put half in the pressure barrel it won't prime adequately and will oxidise due to the huge head space. you could put all of it in the barrel and resign yourself to a hangover or two while you build up your bottle supplies

http://markblades.com
    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Did no 1 and 2 today. Pubs were empty of bottles and got about 10 out of bottle bank, but most of the bottles in there were screw cap wine/whiskey bottles. Don't fancy using plastic, but also don't fancy paying for new either.
      Is the barrel a no goer in your view?

Comment

Plastic isn't at all bad in my experience, especially for bottling 1-1.5l sizes as these are more easily drinkable in one session. You can tell when they are primed cos they go rock hard. and they fit in the fridge. for short term 1-2 month storage I think they are great.

For the pressure barrel I would only use it if you are going to fill it up to the top. Then you will be fine. Now that the weather is colder it is much easier to condition the cask in the garage/outhouse and you won't be stuck drinking warm beer. Do you have the cap with the sparklet bulb attachment on your keg or is it the porous plug type seal?

if the latter then i would swap it for a co2 injector type if you can but this will add to your costs (you only add co2 after you've drunk a third or so and the pressure in the primed barrel has dropped.

Comment

Yes it has a cap ready for little co2 bottles( I've never used a barrel)
          I could Half fill this then add plenty of co2 maybe?

Comment

I would put it under airlock in the carbuoy and bottle when you have enough bottles......it will be safe as long as it is topped up sufficiently

N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

or buy some 2 litre pet bottles containing fizzy stuff (they are really cheap) and bottle in those
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

The idea with the pressure barrel is that you fill it with primed beer (prime at 100g of sugar per 23 litres of beer). the secondary ferment gives the beer it's sparkle. You will need a few soda syphon bulbs to blanket half a barrel of beer and I would strongly advise against it.

As you have the co2 injector (you have the holder for the bulbs as well?) then, especially at this time of year, I would stick the lot in the pressure barrel. prime with sugar and fill the barrel. Leave it in the airing cupboard or somewhere warm for a week. Move to the garage/outhouse/shed and allow to settle for a week or 2 then start enjoying. as you pour the beer you will come to a point where the tap starts to suck air. Now you can add a co2 bulb. if you add too early then the cap will vent the excess and it will be wasted.

Make sure you clean out the barrel really well. check that the O ring on the tap and cap are intact and grease them with vaseline. don't overtighten the tap O ring or it will leak when the pressure goes up.

The beer will definitely last till new year in a barrel if kegging now (assuming you don't guzzle it).

Don't discount PET bottles though. If in doubt try a couple of PET bottles of ginger beer (forum search is your friend). works a treat. Excellent for barbeques or XMas parties.

I'd be interested to know how the donna and blitzed tastes when finished. Makes a change from Wherry when the malt runs out.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

or buy some 2 litre pet bottles containing fizzy stuff (they are really cheap) and bottle in those
                  what he said!

Comment

Many thanks guys, think I will go with mcblades idea. Will go to my very helpful HBS in the morning as he's already said he will pressure check the barrel and supply new o rings etc. if as u say it would last till after combo then I'm sure it will be ok(defo gone by new year in this house!!)
                    Will report on results etc
                    Thanks for all the advice again. I really appreciate it.
                    Regards
                    Matt

Comment

Don't forget to post a review of the beer when it is ready
                      Good luck

Comment

Working...
                      X