water purification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water purification

Would this be an easy way of purifying water prior to making beer...

Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

No. Its known as a smart still, easy still or air still.

It will produce distilled water but it holds 4 litres and does take a long time.

Equally, that's a reasonable price.....
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

at 2L/hr and 750w that's about 20h and 15KW of eleccy. Also the water will be devoid of oxygen, taste bloody horrible and be missing any of the nice minerals that yeasts and maltases like in trace amounts.

My water (and I bet yours too) makes nice beer without all that mucking about. I used to do the boil, cool, decant, add gypsum, CaSO4 etc. Not convinced it made any difference in my water area (quite hard but shepherd neame seem to manage OK -- mind you I only drink theirs for the bottles ).

Maybe if you are brewing a lager then you might want to find a way to soften your water but who wants to drink that stuff. As monty python famously said, "it's like making love in a canoe" ...

F***ing close to water!

which is quite a nice circular ending.

cheers

Mark

ps.. I got over my missing the wilko half price sale by brewing 5 gals of exmoor gold and 5 gals of white shield. Happy fathers day!

http://markblades.com
      Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
      These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
        -----snip-----
        shepherd neame seem to manage OK
        -----/snip-----
        So do Harveys, allegedly....... I believe they DO soften their water, so it wouldn't surprise me to find out that S&N do as well !
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I realise that this is somewhat self defeating, but.....

I would drink a pint of harveys 4X over SN anyday (with the exception of the 1698 bottle conditioned SN which is bloody lovely).

I did try and contact SN about water treatment a while ago but received no reply. will try again

http://markblades.com
          Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
          These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
            I did try and contact SN about water treatment a while ago but received no reply. will try again
            Good idea that.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
              No. Its known as a smart still, easy still or air still.

It will produce distilled water but it holds 4 litres and does take a long time.

Equally, that's a reasonable price.....
              My localish Home Brew shop stocks these and all the additives for making pseudo vodka, whiskey etc for around £150 so similar price to this. However while you could legally produce 2500 litres a year to put in your car without any hassle from HMRC, the second one drop passes the old taste buds you are breaking the law. I did consider one for producing a neutral fortifier for port but thats as far as I got. Would never use distilled water for brewing, as already noted it's awful stuff.
              Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Working...
              X