Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fizz free ginger beer

Ideas gentleman please...

I have just made a batch of ginger beer.

2 Kg sugar (about 4.5% Alc)
    500g fresh ginger
    75g cream of tartar
    25g yeast nutrient
    10 lemons
    Water to 22 litres
    Gervin old English yeast

This is my first go at a ginger beer and have to say it is very lovely tasting but flat has a proverbial pancake.
    It was in the primary ferment for about a week and then starined, primed & bottled. All temperatures good. Yeast started prior to addition.
    I have sampled half a dozen bottles now, all the same this is not a closure failure.

I am beginning to wonder if this is something to do with the ginger - I have seen the same with garlic, which can inhibit the yeast.

Has anybody got any theories? Has anybody had any success with ginger beer?
    Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 24-06-2013, 10:49 AM.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Yes, but if you've run the batch with an airlock, then thats where the CO2 has gone....

Bottle it with some priming sugar etc as you would for a normal beer.

Personally I just make it in a 2 litre bottle i.e. mix it all up, leave it capped in the kitchen until I can't depress the plastic at all, then get it in the fridge sharpish too chill......

You might need some more yeast too......
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

It was in the primary ferment for about a week and then starined, primed & bottled. All temperatures good. Yeast started prior to addition.
      How long was it bottled for after priming?
      Since the weather warmed up, my beer needs about 2 weeks in the bottle to carbonate and clear properly. For ginger beer I tend to do as fatbloke and prime and bottle in 1.5 litre pet bottles. stick it in the fridge when it's rock hard and you are away.

maybe give your bottles another week or two to fizz up.

http://markblades.com
      Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
      These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

maybe give your bottles another week or two to fizz up.
        The bottles have been primed with half a teaspoon of sugar and been left for a week. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. Although I would have expected at least a small release of gas when I opened the bottle - there is nothing absolutely nothing- it's like opening a carton of milk.

Good idea, I will put some into a 2 L bottle and force fizz it and leave the rest to it & see what happens.

Thanks chaps.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Let's join-up some experiments. I've done the same and had the same results twice.

I've made ginger beer with a kit And added a lot of raw ginger And added lemon - no problem.

It may be the strain of yeast or it may be something in the kit - I wonder if it's yeast nutrient...

but Brian, you've got Cornies lying around, pump it up and have the neighbours round!
          Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
          Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

absolutely pumpy pumpy.

It's just a shame to open all those bottles, I have just primed & sealed :-(

...Just for the record I'm assuming you did not use xylitol is a back sweetener?

Comment

Now your assumption is correct because I used no backsweetener. However, what sweetener they used in the kit, I have no idea, there was obviously some unfermentable sweetener there.
              Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.

Comment

I have just bottled another batch. This time with a few fruit changes, and late hopping ginger - but the main thing is no cream of tartar.

Secondary fermentation is well underway this time - I wonder if there is a connection?

Comment

Ah, right - well you wait and check results then give us a full recipe. I've not come across early hopping ginger, but am obviously pleased for you that you found a late one.

Comment

Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
                    Ah, right early hopping ginger
                    Oh but you have

Comment

UPDATE:

I have a ginger beer foam cannon. By jeebers it works. Late hopping with ginger was good - quite a fresh ginger tingle. I have established that pith does have a taste and we won;t be doing that again. Over all - better than last time.

Now for the marmalade!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                        I have a ginger beer foam cannon.
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Home made ginger beer is the bog's dollocks as a mixer for Jack Daniels and other similar beverages.
                          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                          -Police Squad

Comment

Good call. JD is a favorite is this house.

Comment

Working...
                            X