wheat beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheat beer

Has anybody had any success with wheat beer?
    Does anyone have a recipe to share with temperatures and times?

I am thinking of giving it a bash very soon to test my new steam hood (and make some beer of course). Last time I inadvertently steam cleaned the 'small room' and got into a spot of bother.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

50/50 wheat malt and Maris otter then hallertaur hersbrucker to about 15 to 20 ibu. Wheat bear yeast (not many dried versions around) essential as is good control of ferment temp. About 24c iirc. It is absolutely gorgeous if you get it right and so easy to make. By other peoples comments the best beer I've ever made I.e. a crowd pleaser for lager drinkers.

Comment

A Munich Yeast works well here. I like to twist mine a smidge with the zest from one orange and 1 clove in the primary just before the yeast is pitched. I also like to bottle early so you get a white beer.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
        50/50 wheat malt and Maris otter then hallertaur hersbrucker to about 15 to 20 ibu. Wheat bear yeast (not many dried versions around) essential as is good control of ferment temp. About 24c iirc. It is absolutely gorgeous if you get it right and so easy to make. By other peoples comments the best beer I've ever made I.e. a crowd pleaser for lager drinkers.
        This sounds good. What is the mash temp and run time pls.

The clove and orange twist sound good.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
          A Munich Yeast works well here. I like to twist mine a smidge with the zest from one orange and 1 clove in the primary just before the yeast is pitched. I also like to bottle early so you get a white beer.
          Hello

Could you not buy a good bottle of wheat beer for less drink it and make up a starter from the dregs?
          Malc

Comment

Originally posted by malcmackenzie View Post
            Hello

Could you not buy a good bottle of wheat beer for less drink it and make up a starter from the dregs?
            You could but here is the problem when doing that. Yeast goes wild and takes on flavors very easily. If you do not grow yeast in sterilized environment then what ever is left is the flavor the yeast will carry. If you get a good yeast it is only good for three pitches and washes before it goes wild. Washing and growing yeast is a lot of work buying a package of yeast is cheap and you know what you are getting.

Comment

Well here's a thing - I have just added the yeast - and on the back of the packet the detailed instructions state ..

" sprinkle on wort"

Beer yeast must be different from wine yeast, which have complex rehydration and specific temperature guidelines. :-0

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                Well here's a thing - I have just added the yeast - and on the back of the packet the detailed instructions state ..

" sprinkle on wort"

Beer yeast must be different from wine yeast, which have complex rehydration and specific temperature guidelines. :-0
                The species will be different but yeast is yeast. I know Bob is very up on rehydration and if done properly you get a better start when a properly hydrated yeast is pitched. Myself personally have never used the rehydration method I sprinkle the yeast on the top and let it go never a failure. It comes to method you are more comfortable with as both work well. If you can get some Rat get some liquid yeast you will pay for it but you will be impressed with the results.

Comment

Working...
                X