brewing grains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brewing grains

After brewing over the weekend I got to thinking about the waste product - the spent malt.

The pigs don't really like it and it is still full of whole wheat (not to be confused with wholemeal) which is full of fibre.

So after a bit of research on the Internet I have made bread with it.

The first batch was very simple. 33% addition to my standard bread recipe. No blitzing - I added it as it came out of the malt tube.

Result: Nice one. A smidge more texture (nothing like a granary loaf with bits in, which I was keen to avoid). A biscuity improvement in the taste and possibly a slightly lighter bread. The bread yeast has had any remaining mile away, so the only downside is the bread does not taste of beer !! which is of course disappointing.

And of course being an honorary Scotsman - it makes your flour go further - more loaves for your buck!

I have frozen the rest of the batch, so that I could add it to later bakes.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Hello

Nice idea.... by the waste I presume that you mean the grains that come out of the mash tun after the sparge?

I have a small loaf on the go right now with some Ringwood yeast top cropped off my one brewing at the moment.

Not done that before interested to see how it rises.
    Malc

Comment

I have made a lot of bread with spent grain really very tasty. Composting is also a very good use particularly if you grow fermentable fruits. Win Win.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

How about mixing it into something like flap jacks?
        Malc

Comment

I presume that you mean the grains that come out of the mash tun after the sparge?
          yup...

How about mixing it into something like flap jacks?
          Cherry flapjack - tremendous idea - have a gold star, go to the top of the class

I have to say I expected to get some spiky bits, but that has not been the case whatsoever.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Do you keep pigs?

I noted that Ringwood brewery do and feed the mash waste to the pigs and the whey from a cheese place round the corner and they sell Ringwood sausages from the pigs beer etc. They may put some of the waste in sausages instead of bread??

Full of ideas me ......

How about some oatie type biscuits to put cheese on?
            Malc

Comment

Yup We have some pigs. Alwas seems a waste to feed it to them, when they are not really keen anyway.

Sausage filler now there's a another good idea. we make our own sausages. Blimey at this rate I'm going to make more beer because I will run out of spent grains.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                Blimey at this rate I'm going to make more beer because I will run out of spent grains.
                Win win!

N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Yup We have some pigs. Alwas seems a waste to feed it to them, when they are not really keen anyway.

Sausage filler now there's a another good idea. we make our own sausages. Blimey at this rate I'm going to make more beer because I will run out of spent grains.
                  I also thought Haggis which is a bit far fetched but a Scottish ale sausage perhaps.

My pals have pigs behind my house I live in an old farm cottage with allotments to the rear.

Often I will have some joints as a thank you I dry cure them with a mix of salts with no Nitrates / Nitrites, just don't fancy that.

The dry cure works very well and you can cure to bacon for the belly or cure a leg and boil to a ham on the bone. That also comes out just like the Wiltshire ham on the bone at next to no cost.

I have a barbecue where all the cook plates can go in the dishwasher so I have a small cold smoker that I can put in the bottom of the B'bque and lay out the meat 0n the clean racks last time I cold smoked the belly bacon that was fantastic.

Morrisons have pork leg on offer at the moment (£2.75 a kilo) so I set on 3kgs this morning to cure so I will have a 3kg dry cured ham for under a tenner.
                  £60-£70 for 3kg's of Wiltshire at least.

To report on my bread I made a small loaf yesterday and top cropped a couple of tablespoons of Ringwood yeast off my latest brew and it came out fantastic. Nice rise and the crust was smooth and shiny more like a quality dinner roll than a loaf.

Anyway it passed the test in that I had one slice and the kids demolished it.

Set on a wholewheat one earlier we shall see what that's like.

Crikey you've got me going......... better go do some work.
                  Malc

Comment

Bob: Win win!
                    Terrible state of affairs !!

Malc: Set on a wholewheat one earlier we shall see what that's like.
                    My bread mix was 4.5kg 50/50 white & wholemeal flour with 1.5KG beer grains. So thats at 30%.
                    PS toasts beautifully.

PPS have you tried smoked salmon or palma ham ......

Comment

Terrible state of affairs !!

PPS have you tried smoked salmon or palma ham ......
                      I have had rainbow trout smoked for me before which I think is better than salmon. I am going to buy a side from Tesco and brine / cold smoke it this weekend. Not done parma ham yet.

I bought a great book on smoking curing by Keith Earlansden was about £6 but I also like the look of Dick Strawbridge book as it has more dried hams recipes in it. link below.

And a link for the smoke generator but there are a few places you can get it and I can recommend the smoker its a great little gadget. Great smoked peanuts for your beer and I have smoked some Marris Otter to put in an experimental stout/porter.

Malc

Comment

Salmon.. Use a 50% salt/sugar cure. Overnight in the fridge is all it needs.

Comment

Salmon.. Use a 50% salt/sugar cure. Overnight in the fridge is all it needs.
                          Then how long would you smoke it for?
                          Malc

Comment

cold smoke 3 - 6 hours. Hot 1.5 hours - cold is better.

Comment

Working...
                            X