Well water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well water

Talking to a couple of people about water quality, got me thinking.

We have hard water here. nearly 300 doh dahs of hardness form memeory.

Rather than fiddle about softeneing it - what about using well water ? Its not a bore hole.

What would I need to do? Just boil it the day before ?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

I suppose boiling would work OK. I remember my Great Aunt back in the 50's always used well water - it was just kept in covered, white enamel buckets in the larder for several days to settle. It made beautiful tea.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

The well water will likely be as hard as the domestic supply......

So you'd need to soften or treat it somehow........

I'd say get an RO filter for the well water and pump it. The RO "wastage can go back in plus its not on a water meter is it........
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Not sure about the hardness John, it is a surface well and we are in clay soil.

I suppose the best way would be to get a Glassful out and see/taste it.

We are only about 8 feet above sea level here, even the rabbits wear life vests.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I have heard that well water can be great for beer. But I would suggest that it could in theory be a gamble if it had any poisons in it like fertilizer pesticide etc from the fields.

Is there anywhere you can post a sample and get it tested?

If there is I may be interested as I also have a well.
          Malc

Comment

I enquired a couple of years ago about testing the well water.

The local Water authority will test it, however once you do, they know you have a well. It seems that if you take a cup full of water from the well you will be 'abstracting water' and for that you need a water abstraction license from the environment agency. So that didn't strike me as the best way to go. Given that I was at best only likely to have a dozen buckets full.

Guess what we need is an independent water tester, preferably one that drinks beer.

This is the cunning plan so far...

Stage 1. Do a CAT test. They drink all sorts of 'water' around the garden - if they turn their nose up it's probably best avoided !!

Stage 2. Using tea as a comparison - you know what your daily cuppa should taste like. Try it - if it doesn't work -chances are it won't be any better in beer.

If it passes those 2 - the plan is to boil 25 L for 10 minutes in an open vessel so that any filth is allowed to boil off and evaporate. Then let it cool naturally to mash temperature. Drain off the extra into a clean bucket for later and get mashing...

Any thoughts ??

NB: There are animals will be harmed in the production of this beer

Comment

Not sure about the risk of heavy metal (not Rock music!). Even quite heavily contaminated water won't necessarily have a noticeable taste. The Romans even used lead to sweeten their wine. It probably wouldn't have any immediate adverse effects but its cumulative and not good. There are test kits available, like this one http://www.simplexhealth.co.uk/home-...est-p-328.html
              Cheers,
              Dave.
              If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
              But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Doesn't everyone use lead to sweeten their wine ?

Thanks for the link - will give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                X