No announcement yet.

wheat middle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Brian. I have not done Wheat beer as I find them sharp and unappealing. So I went to some of my friends that do them your temperature is way low. Most recommend doing a step mash but say they have been successful doing a batch method with a temperature of 170F I converted that and that is 76.6C . They all say that wheat is a hard grain to work with as the sparge has a tendency to plug up and getting a complete sparge takes time and patients. The fellow that loves his wheat beer quit doing grain and started using extract he gets more consistent results doing this. I hope this helps.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Excellent.
      Agreed - I took on the wheat beer knowing it would be a difficult nut to crack.

This is the step mash I used ....

15 mins 63° C
      35 mins 73° C
      15 mins 78° C
      Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 07-12-2013, 06:32 AM.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
        I think light body is one of the characteristics of wheat beer because I've had several and most seem to be that way. I don't know if it's the same in the UK, but over here they are typically advertised as summer beers - as in they go down easy on a hot day. If you want something just a bit heavier, try a Hefeweizen.
        BANG on. Steve.

After some research (from the supermarket) and now it has matured - a tase test goods up good. This is good recipe.
        The empty middle seems to have gone and this is slighty less sweet than its commercial cousin which is nice.
        Drinks better chilled to (as you would expect for a summer beer)

The only failure of the homebrew is that it has cleared beautifully
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
        X