Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to figure ALC/VOL

I make a drink called APPLE PIE. The recipe is as follows:

4 gallons of apple cider (100% pasturized juice)
    750 ml DeKuyper Hot Damn 15% ALC/Vol750 ml DeKuyper Apple Barrel Schnapps 24% ALC/Vol1.75 L Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum 35% ALC/VOL
    Now the question. How do I go about figuring the ALC/VOL Of this 5 gallon (approx.) batch?

Feel free to try this recipe. But be warned. This will sneak up on you real fast as there is no alcohol taste. But, it is there and will get you. Thanks

Why not try the drink and fall over method, I couldn't be bothered trying to work it out. If you enjoy and it does the trick then why bother with statistics.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
      Why not try the drink and fall over method, I couldn't be bothered trying to work it out. If you enjoy and it does the trick then why bother with statistics.
      Just wanted to know if there was a way to figure it out. and yes the drink and fall over method does work. Thanks

Comment

The abv is not as much as you might think. If you average the 3 cordials, you get around 25%. The total volume of the 3 cordials is about 1 gallon, or not quite that, and then you are diluting it with 4 gallons of apple juice. Wouldn't that be maybe 5% at best? 'Twould be reasonable to not taste alcohol. Am I missing something? Done all in my head, so who knows!

Last edited by Hippie; 02-11-2007, 06:20 AM.
        REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Way too complicated for me to work out, but is it apple juice or cider? If it's cider, what's the ABV of that? Would make a difference to Hippie's calculation.
          I think
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

use this

the bottom line on the page will allow you to calculate this, you will need to do it in stages, but it will give you an accurate reading

hope this helps
            regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by paulwhite1964 View Post

750 ml DeKuyper Hot Damn 15% ALC/Vol750 ml DeKuyper Apple Barrel Schnapps 24% ALC/Vol1.75 L Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum 35% ALC/VOL
              Now the question. How do I go about figuring the ALC/VOL Of this 5 gallon (approx.) batch?

Feel free to try this recipe. But be warned. This will sneak up on you real fast as there is no alcohol taste. But, it is there and will get you. Thanks

I did the calculation for you...it goes like this

750 ml DeKuyper Hot Damn 15% ALC/Vol750 ml DeKuyper Apple Barrel Schnapps 24% ALC/Vol...this gives 1.5 litres of juice at 19.5 % ABV

to this 1.5 litres of 19.5% juice you added 1.75 litres of Capt Morgan rum at 35%.. this gives you 3.25 litres of juice at 27.8%ABV..add 4 gallons (US Gallons I'm assuming, so 15.2 litres of apple cider at 0% (and again Im assuming you are using the term cider to mean apple juice, in the UK cider is fermented apple juice...what you would call hard cider)

this gives you a toatal volume of 18.5 litres (4.8 US gallons) of drink at 4.58% ABV (good call Gelenvall only 0.42% out)

hope this helps

regards
              Bob
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 02-11-2007, 10:10 AM.
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                hahaha

That is just too funny!
                Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                Twitter: VirtualWineO
                Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

OOOOOO!

there you go danina, your status has changed again.....fully fledged winemaker
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Reckon I would just soon drink good cold beer at 6%! Will be Corona Light tonight as we rock out at a friend's house. Party time! Fingertips will be near bloody by morning.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Originally posted by paulwhite1964 View Post

Go to the link above and click on CAL - The Meadery - you may be able to use this tool to do you calculations? You will need the original SG and the ending SG after fermentation. Try this Pearson Square it may be your solution? Cheers DAW

Comment

Here is an actual formula that you could use:

%alc/vol. of blended wine=

(AXD) + (BXE)
                        (DXE)

A= % alcohol/vol of first wine
                        B+% alc/vol of second wine
                        D= Volume of first wine
                        E+ volume of second wine

I suppose to could extend the formula to the other blended ones in your batch. This is all using the Pearson Square. I am not a math expert but you should be able to get something out of this. Cheers Hope it helps DAW

Comment

Makes sense just looking at the figures myself. Ciphered it out in my head in about 1 minute.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Working...
                          X