Specific Gravity Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specific Gravity Question

I hope some one could give me some advice please.

I started a beer about 12 days ago (starting SG was 1050) and I've been checking the SG and over the last couple of days its remained constant at 1015. There appears to be no activity with all the yeast having dropped to the bottom.

Is it safe to prime and bottle at 1015 if the sg remains unchanged over the next couple of days?

Thanks

I haven't done many beers.....

But what do the instructions (I'm assuming it was a kit) say about final Gravity?

1.015 seems a little high, what sort of beer is it?
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

yes, it's a bit high.

I'd take the beer to a warmer place and see if that helps.
      Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
      Twitter: VirtualWineO
      Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

It's not so far out maybe 2 point not so much to cause problems, for what I would do if was a bit concerned and wanted to bottle now is cut down on the priming sugar, instead of the usual 80g per 40 pints use say 50/60g instead.

Comment

Thanks guys

It wasn't a kit - but based on the CJJ Berry recipe BerryBitter.

Its in a nice warm kitchen with a submerged thermostatic heater.

Comment

Don't let it ferment to high, keep room temp between 17 and 21 and it will be fine any higher than that can cause off flavours and give you nastier hangovers.

Comment

Nee bother bonny lad

I'll check it again at the weekend - the recipe states that it should be bottled at 1010 so not far to go now

thanks

Comment

This is what Wheeler has to say about Berry's beer making prowess...

C. J. J. Berry's book, "Home Brewed Beers And Stouts" was probably the worst book ever for recipes that could not possibly work, and is probably single-handedly responsible for 99% of the bad habits that have plagued home brewing for years. C. J. J. B. was fundamentally a "country" winemaker and he treated beer as just another type of country wine - three tons of sugar plus a bit of barley and hop flavouring. It irks me, to a certain extent, that it has been perpetually in print for 44 years. It has remained in print, of course, because at one time he owned the company that published it. C. J. J. Berry died only about four years ago; he must have been a ripe old age.
                I don't know what the recipe is you are using but if you used an ale yeast for your recipe I would guess that it ran out of steam due to lack of nutrients (the requirements of an ale yeast being quite different from a wine yeast).

I wouldn't expect it to get much below 1012 anyway, you may coax it down by gently rousing the yeast back into suspension and keep the temperature in the low 20's to try and encourage some activity from the remaining viable yeast.
                sigpic

Comment

should I just bottle it then?

Comment

Not yet, try rousing it (gently stiring the yeast back into suspension), keep it warm (in the 20's) and monitor the gravity.

If this doesn't bring the gravity down, after a couple of days then bottle it. (just to make sure you don't get any significant fermentation in the bottle).
                    sigpic

Comment

Well here goes.......

I racked off the beer into a 5 gallon carboy on Sat and the Sg was at 1015. Just checked now and the beer is crystal clear and no more fermenting and the SG has remained at 1015.

Will bottle at the weekend.

tastes canny already, a little bit of fizz will be magic as long as the primed bottles don't turn into hand grenades

Comment

Well go to the foot of my stairs!!!!!

bottled this a week ago (and primed) left in kitchen till saturday then moved to the baltic regions of my garage.

just cracked one open and it tastes canny lush

A job well done for a first crack at a bitter.

going to attempt a stout and a lager next with my new brupack mash boiler Might take some photos and if they are any good I'll stick em up here

thanks for all your help

Comment

Canny job,whyie man.
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

It wasn't a flook either - just had another and it was equally as nice - kind of like a strong black sheep.............

i think i'll call it ...........

Darth Bitter

the force is strong in this one

sorry I can be such a nerd at times

Comment

And Check it out!!! isn't it lovely

Slaymaker's Darth Bitter..
                              darth bitter.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X