Lockwoods beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockwoods beer

So what are you going to brew recipe and method please Bob.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

I'm going to make a bitter and a lager, following the all grain method in Dave lines, Big book of Brewing

3 gallon (imp) batch of each....

Bitter:
    3.6lbs crushed pale malt
    1.2lbs white sugar
    1.25 oz goldings hops
    Will mash at 150 deg F for 90 mins, sparge with 3 gallons water, to achieve start SG of 1.036 boil with goldings hops for 90 mins, chill and pitch Muntons gold ale yeast yeast

Lager:
    3 Gallon Batch
    3.75lb crushed pale malt
    1.25 oz Hallertau hops
    Will mash at 150 deg F for 90 mins, sparge with 3 gallons water, boil with Hallertau hops for 90 mins, chill and pitch Muntons Lager yeast

Barley wine:
    Woodfordes Headcracker Malt extract Kit...no added sugar 12% ABV

may start now!

so may be missing the rest of the night, or I may read some more and do it all tomorrow

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 07-06-2008, 05:13 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      I'm going to make a bitter and a lager, following the all grain method in Dave lines, Big book of Brewing

3 gallon (imp) batch of each....

3 gallons water, boil with Hallertau hops for 90

regards
      Bob
      Are there no flavoring hops being used? Particularly the lager I am a bit of a hop head but not for aroma. I particularly like a combination when using Hallerteau of an addition of sazz or another addition i find particularly tasty is 1/4 tsp of cinnamon to a 5 gallon imperial batch I put in the cinnamon 5 min. along with the flavoring hops. I particularly like this if using cascade for bittering and hallerteau for flavoring. Just some ideas Bob I do like the simplicity of these recipes though.

Comment

Well because this was my first All Grain brew....i fugured I'd keep it simple

Pics of pale malt grains, hops, mash tun filled and wrapped....left to stand for 90 mins at 150 deg F to release the sugars from the malt, will then sparge
        Attached Files
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 07-06-2008, 09:14 PM.
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Heated sparge water to 170 deg F and sparged the sugars from the malt

then placed extract into boiler, added hops and got to boiling point, will boil for 90 mins (should be done at 10.15)

will then cool it and pitch yeast
          Attached Files
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

This is such fun

Also have the bitter in the mash tun (it may end up mashing overnight!)

and I just pitched the yeast into the Woodforde's head cracker ale (Barley Wine)
            Last edited by lockwood1956; 07-06-2008, 09:23 PM.
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Not bad for a non medal winner. Glad to see you hosing the wert from the sparge. You will be impressed and full of new ideas next time. I have to admit this is one hobby that what you make of it.

Comment

I am over at Jim's asking about hop growing this is my first year trying that. I am looking forward to building my beer with my own hops a new dimension.

Comment

Bob,

I see your boiling in a stock pot, didn't you have a boiler under construction?

Comment

yes.......but its not ready yet
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Ah.... I see, just been reading the rest of the forums, i see karl is on it... do you think there's a possibility of a tutorial in there?

Comment

strained into fermenter, waiting for temp to reduce (it's stood in a sink of cold water....chiller not ready yet either )
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

A tutorial was done allready by Kerosine, but may do some more

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I think Bugle meant a tutorial on making the boiling bucket with thermostat.

Well, that's how I read it anyway.

Comment

Has it given off lots of nice smells in the house?

I got told off tonight, as I've just started a gallon of rhubarb wine, and it made the kitchen smell. I didn't think it smelt much at all!

Comment

Working...
                              X