making cider help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making cider help please

Hi all, i have a gallon of cider thats coming to the end of enitial ferment, its been on the dj for a week now, this is for the motherinlaw to be as i dont like cider.
    I used the turbo cider recipe with added honey and cider yeast.
    My question is .. she want a sweet cider and fizzy.. is this possible? if so how do i do this? as if i kill the yeast to leave a little sugar unfermented i will not be able to prime to give some fizz??

Thanks
    Alan

Originally posted by alan66 View Post
    Hi all, i have a gallon of cider thats coming to the end of enitial ferment, its been on the dj for a week now, this is for the motherinlaw to be as i dont like cider.
    I used the turbo cider recipe with added honey and cider yeast.
    My question is .. she want a sweet cider and fizzy.. is this possible? if so how do i do this? as if i kill the yeast to leave a little sugar unfermented i will not be able to prime to give some fizz??

Thanks
    Alan
    If it was me Alan, I'd be make sure that it tastes ok (once cleared/filtered/whatever), sweeten it with a non-fermentable sweetener (lactose or something that the HBS's sell) and then bottle it with a small amount of sugar/dextrose/hone so that the yeast has something to work on to carbonate it.

dunno if anyone else has any other and/or better ideas

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
      If it was me Alan, I'd be make sure that it tastes ok (once cleared/filtered/whatever), sweeten it with a non-fermentable sweetener (lactose or something that the HBS's sell) and then bottle it with a small amount of sugar/dextrose/hone so that the yeast has something to work on to carbonate it.

dunno if anyone else has any other and/or better ideas

regards

JtFB
      Thanks jtfb, so i shouldnt stabalise it? and just let it run its course, then sweeten to taste with a non fermenting sweetner and prime?

Regards

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by alan66 View Post
        Thanks jtfb, so i shouldnt stabalise it? and just let it run its course, then sweeten to taste with a non fermenting sweetner and prime?

Regards

Alan
        That's what I'd be doing, if you stabilise you'd have to carbonate some other way i.e. CO2 or the champagne method (a major PITA if you ask me - I can't be ar5ed with all that faffing about).

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
        X