Beer Making Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Making Machine

Does anyone know anything about, or use a beer making machine?

My sister is thinking of getting one of the above for my Nephew for his birthday, and she was wondering if anyone had any comments to make before she gets one...

From what I've read on the website, the main drawback seems to be that you have to use their kits, which could be a pain as they're in the USA and we're not! (or I could have got it wrong - too much mulled wine last night Perhaps!!!)
    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Beer Machine UK....http://www.beermachineuk.com/

I have never used one of these. I have talked to one or two people who love them. I have also talked to several people who hate them. One woman said that she threw it out after it exploded in her fridge the second time.

BTW, I hadn`t heard mention of this product in so long, I kinda figured it had disappeared.

Steve
    the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
    "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

My nephew is a serial surfer, so probably stumbled accross the site in a surfing frenzy... he's also a medical student, so needs copious amounts of cheap beer; hence him finding the website!

So, you personally wouldn't use a beer making machine then?
      HRH Her Lushness

Comment

I have never tried one, and even without the negative comments probably never would. In Canada, we are blessed with a couple of brands of wort kits (Brewhouse, Brewers Spring, Barons, Festa, ...). These are very easy to make and produce a decent beer (IMHO anyway). They are even easier than a wine kit. Ready to drink (if temperatures etc are agreeable) about 4-5 weeks after starting.

If your nephew is careful, he should be OK. I seem to recall one person talking about cleaning some part carefully, and replacing a gasket regularly. But that's a pretty vague memory.

BTW, the above conversations occurred between approx 2002 and 2006 with customers in my store. I did not sell the Beer Machine so didn't keep notes or pay a lot of attention.

Steve
        Last edited by cpfan; 24-11-2008, 06:40 PM.
        the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
        "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Okay, thank you for your input, I'll pass your comments on to my sister.
          HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
            Okay, thank you for your input, I'll pass your comments on to my sister.
            Of course, you could always explain the alternatives to your sister/nephew

regards

JtFB
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
              Of course, you could always explain the alternatives to your sister/nephew

regards

JtFB
              Har bl00dy har I suppose you think you're funny

Sister, Other Sister, Brother in Law, Other Brother In Law, Nephew, other Nephew and both Nieces will now be showing an unhealthy interest in the above link... (not to mention Mr Lushes side of the family)... I reckon you're after pickling my ENTIRE family (except my Mum coz she's teetotal, which is a shame coz she deserves to be pickled.)

(Lush dips her straw back into her night cap DJ of iced pina colada... after she's just drunk copious amounts of mulled wine... hic)
              HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Approximately 15 years ago we purchased a beer making machine. A rubber gasket blew failed to hold and we had beer all over our bathroom (which is where we had been keeping it) thankgoodness, as the mess was contained. We promply returned it and thus our ventures into brewing using primary pails, carboys and recycled beer bottles began.

If your sobrino is looking for an economical way to make beer we found (primary pails/ carboys etc) was the way to go.

JC
                Last edited by jcnoren; 25-11-2008, 04:56 PM.

Comment

He's already been brewing using primaries and bottles etc, but wants an easier, less space consuming and time consuming method, that presumably can be done in his room at Uni rather than in Dad's garage/Mums kitchen... Personally speaking I'm more than happy to use primaries and bottles etc, but who am I to stand in the way of impetuous youth?!

If he does get one, I'll be interested to see how long it takes him to blow the thing up, although I'd hope that the manufacturers have made modifications to make the modern ones less explosive!
                  HRH Her Lushness

Comment

I hear you. Your nephew is not at all like I was as a youth, for me my criteria was beer, cheap and plenty of it. Hopefully manufacturers have improved this product . My other problem was this beer making machine did not house enough product.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by jcnoren View Post
                      I hear you. Your nephew is not at all like I was as a youth, for me my criteria was beer, cheap and plenty of it. Hopefully manufacturers have improved this product . My other problem was this beer making machine did not house enough product.

JC
                      Actually I think my nephew is EXACTLY like you... and that's what worries me...
                      (luckily he's studying medicine, so at least he can mend the people he breaks with his brewings!)
                      HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Working...
                      X