Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fining Turbo Cider for a polypin

All,

I've got a big batch of cider that's just finished fermenting. Some of it's going into bottles but I've got a pair of 17pt polypins from local breweries - bought over xmas, they had fined, beer. Two days for settling then drinkable... This post is to see if anyone has done this with cider.

I find the sediment that turbo cider throws is very delicate and easily disrupted, if I want to try using the polypins, I want to make a sturdier sediment that doesn't lift every time I draw a pint. I also want to lightly prime the cider for a gentle sparkle.

Thoughts anyone?

Aid.

Forget the sparkle, I've been reading since I posted and I'll leave it scrumpy style as the polypins wont take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aid View Post
      Forget the sparkle, I've been reading since I posted and I'll leave it scrumpy style as the polypins wont take it.
      Been reading my response to your polypin thread no doubt ??, follow up the beer pump method, it will work, as for the cider why not use some 2ltr pet bottles, prime, condition and decant into a large jug before serving, leaving the sediment behind ??
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Yes Master Duff, I read your from your teachings

It all started like this...
        I started off with 2 litre pet bottles then after I'd accumulated enough ex-bulmers bottles, I started putting my ale and cider in them - cos they're a pint as opposed to the 500ml you get if you buy a bottle of ale. (Why you can't buy a 'pint' of ale but you can buy a pint of cider is beyond me). Then I got a pressurised barrel from a car boot sale but I'm was too nervous to spoil a batch of anything by using it cos I don't really know what I'm doing with it. Then, I was given a couple of polypins and told that breweries sell them with their lovely, ale in. I thought as they're only 17pts, I could bottle some and not spoil a whole brew experimenting.... I read this and thought it's a goer, but worried about the delicate sediment of the cider.
        Soo, I will put some in 2 ltr pets, I'll bottle some and then I should experiment.
        The pump idea is inventive, but I'm looking to use what I've got only if I can do so without having to supliment it with other kit. Otherwise I'd be just as well to buy a barrel.
        Soo, on the barrel front, can someone please tell me why with my car-boot barrel, there's a top that takes co2 mini-capsules AND one with just a hard rubber band - seems like a pressure safety thing. Which do I use?

Comment

I've recently got my old Boots pressure barrel out of the loft and have been using it for (kit) cider.

I bought a CO2 injector years ago and, although fitted, I don't always use a CO2 bulb.

The advantage is though, as you decant, from the bottom the CO2 fills the barrel from the top keeping it. more readily, under pressure.

When priming a beer/cider in the barrel I've always used 2 ozs of sugar and have had no problems.

Comment

Working...
          X