Burst bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burst bottle

I bottled a Muntons lager kit, after three days I have a burst bottle. I left it fermenting seventeen days before bottling and used Newcastle Brown bottles. I did use a bit more sugar for the second ferment than I normally use but not that much more, I used nearly a cupful for the forty bottles. I did cap with a little froth in the neck, It has been in the living room since bottling should I move it somewhere cooler and wait longer for it to finish or what should I do. thanks john.

Move it to a cool spot for a few days then open one over the sink, it could be over carbonated or you could have had a dodgy bottle.
    If it is over carbonated I would open all the bottles and return them to a bucket for a couple of days.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks for that Bob no more burst bottles, keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Make certain the bottles are cold co2 is held in suspension when cold if you do this with a warmer bottle you could risk it bursting from the extra pressure cased by moving a carbonated drink. I had a customer that over carbonated a root beer these were bursting fairly regular. I recommended putting them in the freezer for a half hour and use a towel wrapped around the bottles when moving the fellow said four more burst from moving while in route to the freezer said the towel saved him from being cut.Anything that made it to the freezer was able to be opened in the sink without bursting.I do not think that it is the extra sugar that caused this though it is way too soon for this much pressure. I would think dodgy bottle as no others were broken when this one burst.If these start bursting from too much pressure one will burst and take a couple more out beside it.
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Working...
        X