Beer Barrels - Please explain to me :o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Barrels - Please explain to me :o

OK, I brewed my beer and bottled it as the instructions say (and its really yummy) however, its a bit of a faff to bottle 40 odd bottles if you want it for a specific party

how and when would I stick the beer into a barrel? How long will it keep in there? Do I prime it as usual?

Sorry for being a bit thick, I just don't quite get it

Barrell at the same time as you would bottle.

Prepare a priming solution of 1/4 pt boiling water and 80grms sugar/dry malt extract, put that in your barrell and allow to cool for 10mins ish.

Syphon your beer off the sediment into the barrell causing minimum splashing of the beer, submerging the outlet of the pipe under the beer once enough has collected in the barrell.

(if you don't want to weigh your sugar, you can count out 1/2tsp per pint into boiling water, a quick boil will kill any bacteria in the sugar and being in a solution the primings will mix naturaly in the barrell).

(pyrex jugs and microwaves are handy for doing this)
    sigpic

Comment

thats easier than I thought

how long will it take to become fizzy? how long can it stay in the barrel etc?

just a rough idea, so I can plan for our next party

thanks DAB

Comment

Treat exactly the same as the instructions for bottles a week in the warm, then a week or so in a cool enviroment. (a month in the barrell will improve the flavour though)

It won't become fizzy in the same way as bottles do, it will have a more gentle sparkle like real ales in the pub.

It will keep for six months at least (the stronger the beer, the longer it keeps).
        sigpic

Comment

really? it keeps for that long in a barrel?

ooooo

why the hell did I think it such a short shelf life in a barrel?

Comment

Once you start drinking it various things like oxidation can start to happen. Once I start a barrell it takes me up to 2 months to drink it and it's still fine but as far as storage goes 6 months no probs.

The advantage with bottles is that they will keep for at least a year usualy more. You can buy 2 gallon barrels, that way you can bottle and keep some aside to mature and use the barrel for imedeate consumption.
            sigpic

Comment

oooo I like that idea

though I should have thought my OH could clear a barrel in a week

I shall have a hunt thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X