Lets go to the hop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets go to the hop

and by that I mean, How long can I reasonably keep hops fresh?

Just received my shipment of materials for my first All Grain Brew. Due to the recipes I've chosen I'm going to have a fair amount of hops left over (which will be going into as many other brews as possible... Or maybe one brew that Will have more hops than a 12 legged bunny.

Any tips and tricks for storing (I was going to go for frozen in a vacuum bag) where would the best place be to get a cheapo vaccuum sealer?
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

I do not know where a good place to purchase a vacuum sealer in the UK would be but you are definitely going about the preservation of the hop quality in the right method. the key is moisture the more of that you can keep out the longer the hops will last. Freeze and thaw is not good either as each time you thaw them out you create a bit of moisture. Hops will stay fresh for a number of years if they are moisture free. If you loose that battle make a nice Lambic with them nothing goes to waste.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Lidl had cheap vacuum sealers on offer at the same time as the "jam maker" boilers. Our local one still has a boiler for sale, might be worth a look for a sealer.

Comment

No help at all from here, but thanks.. That song is now going round and round my head.

Next weekend would be good for brewing I hear. This weekend the weather is all wrong (and I'm at work)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
          That song is now going round and round my head.
          It could be worse.....
          It could be "Heads, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes"
          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
            It could be worse.....
            It could be "Heads, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes"
            nooooooooooooooooooo
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
            X