Tinny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinny

Have done a couple of brews now and I am finding that after a couple of months beer being drunk from a corny starts to taste 'tinny'. (no air getting in)

Does beer keep forever or is there a shelf life? Has anyone else come across this ?

Should I just drink more?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Canned beer has a use by date, hell even baked beans have those.......

So either drink more quickly or make mead (use by for honey is apparently three thousand years).

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

It is unlikely that the metallic taste is from the stainless steel. If it was coming from the stainless (say from cheap alloy) then you would see discolouration of the steel at the level where the beer surface is usually.

Have you tried to bottle some of the beer and compare the flavour?
      If the flavour is the same between the bottle and the keg at the same time then it could suggest you are getting too much metal in your water (an example is in Peterhead where the water is abnormally high in iron).

If the bottle is okay it could indicate that you are getting an infection in the keg. Remove all the seals, throughly clean with something like PBW rinse throughly and replace all the seals with new.

If this doesn't fix it then you could always send the keg up to me. I'll be happy to carry out a through range of tests on it. Mostly by filling it with beer and getting blotto with Rich and Co.

From what I've read on homebrewtalk.com (my craft beer forum of choice) which is American and very heavy with Corny users, there should be a very good shelf life on beer in a corny if stored properly.

Not sure what else to suggest. SOrry if some of the suggestions seem really obvious, but sometimes it is easy to overlook simple ideas!
      Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
      Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
      -Police Squad

Comment

I use my corny's for wine and beer - might that cause it? they are throughly cleaned between but ...

How long is a 'a long time' when storing beer?
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I'd be really surprised if it were the Conrny's Brian...stainless should be totally fine for long term storage.
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
          X