storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• storage

I'm about to embark on my first beer making session (from a kit). Just wondering how you lot store 40 x 275ml bottles from a 5 gallon kit once filled?

Which beer kit is it? most are 40 pints, so that'd be 40 x 568ml bottles surely?

It can be a pain, especially as they should be stored upright, as they will more than likely be bottled conditioned.

You could put some into 2 litre pet bottles, then keep them in the dark, they are good for when you know you will have 3 pints or so in one night.

I have a few shelves in the garage I kepp my bottles upright on, then bring a few in to put in the fridge. I also use Corny kegs, which are great but pricey to get kitted out with.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
      Which beer kit is it? most are 40 pints, so that'd be 40 x 568ml bottles surely?

It can be a pain, especially as they should be stored upright, as they will more than likely be bottled conditioned.

You could put some into 2 litre pet bottles, then keep them in the dark, they are good for when you know you will have 3 pints or so in one night.

I have a few shelves in the garage I kepp my bottles upright on, then bring a few in to put in the fridge. I also use Corny kegs, which are great but pricey to get kitted out with.

I quite fancy Muntons Connoisseur's Wheat Beer Kit (23L)

I'll most likely be bottling in a mix of 275's and 568's (currently drinking san miguel).

Roger, that sounds like a decent plan and would save bottling a third of it in smaller bottles.

I might see if I can source a couple of old milk crates.

Comment

I agree - small bottles are a pita - champagne bottles work too. (look a bit odd though).

Pop bottles are brill and easy to keep clean.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Having seen this thread and having issues with uneven carbonation of my brews I thought to go back to PETs. Just bottled 4 galls of theakstons best clone in 1.5litre green PET bottles (lidl fizzy water bottles at 29p each). In 2 days at room temp they are rock hard, similar to the coopers brown pet bottles that I used to use.
          1.5 litres is about 3 pints to a bottle which I reckon is ideal and at the price they can be chucked after one use.

If this works out I will have lots of glass bottles to get rid of!

mark

http://markblades.com
          Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
          These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
            Having seen this thread and having issues with uneven carbonation of my brews I thought to go back to PETs. Just bottled 4 galls of theakstons best clone in 1.5litre green PET bottles (lidl fizzy water bottles at 29p each). In 2 days at room temp they are rock hard, similar to the coopers brown pet bottles that I used to use.
            1.5 litres is about 3 pints to a bottle which I reckon is ideal and at the price they can be chucked after one use.

If this works out I will have lots of glass bottles to get rid of!

mark
            Don't chuck them, once you've finished pouring out your 3 pints give it a rinse or two under the tap, spray with 10% solution and put the top back on. Just needs a quick rinse prior to filling again. Thats all I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              I agree - small bottles are a pita - champagne bottles work too. (look a bit odd though).
              -----%<-----
              No stranger than pouring mead into a wine glass from a 330ml brown, crown capped beer bottle. Which, surprisingly, is a very convenient size for one person.....

regards

jtfb
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
              X