learning to brew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learning to brew

so then ive recently started doing a few kit beers (a can and a kilo from morrisons) ive got a pressure barrel and almost 40 bottles and with bit of help ive already learnt to use malt extract instead of sugar, use a good yeast safale04 is the one ive been recommended and aireate your wort. so what i want to know is what kits have you done which you think are good and how about customising them with hops or extra grains or even fruit ,fire away lets discuss
    mark
    Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2007, 10:02 PM. Reason: removed link.
    "we need a bigger boat"

the coopers australian lager is ok

the woodfordes kits are nice, especially the headcracker
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

what do the woodfords kits contain ,theyre not a can and a kilo kits,are they , do they require extra boiling or any other procedures
      mark
      "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

they are rady to go, no need for additions (i think)

pop around and have a look if you like, i have a woodfordes wherry trhat ive not started yet, and a couple of dutch lagers (not started yet either) that were yummy last time i did them
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

The Wherry is a 2 can 3 kilo kit. I was the first and second kit that I did back in december last year.
          It really does benefit from 6 weeks of conditioning to hit its stride.
          The big problem with this kit is the variability on the fermantables and the quality of the yeast, which can lead to dreaded stuck fermentation. If you stick with S04 and use some yeast vit and rehydrate your yeast you are doing the best to get it going.

It is a tasty kit, but it is worth knowing about the issues:
          Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2007, 11:47 PM. Reason: removed link

Comment

sorry about the link david i thought it wpould be ok seeing as daab sings the praises of this forum over there
            mark
            "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

I've found that the all kit no sugar kits do taste better. Maybe because I know i've spent more on them.. Always followed the instructions to the letter, then bottle in 2lt pet bottles.

Have tried an old victorian beer kit (name, not date made..), that I'm drinking a pint of now. Not bad, but very,well bittery tasting. Not sure if I could drink more than 2 in a row of these.

Used the woodfordes kits mostly till now, but just got a Muntons kit to try. Maybe I'll take some pics as I do it this week. Off shift now for four days, so time to get something brewing...

Rich
              Last edited by Rich; 09-08-2007, 06:00 AM. Reason: more info.

Comment

Originally posted by heeby View Post
                sorry about the link david i thought it wpould be ok seeing as daab sings the praises of this forum over there
                mark
                sounds good to me
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Lol :d
                  Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Working...
                  X