Clear Lager, but cloudy after being fridged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Lager, but cloudy after being fridged

I've made a Coopers Lager kit, that has been bottled into 2 litre lemonade bottles (precharged with sugar to add fizz). It's been left in the garage for a while to settle and the ones on the shelf look very clear and settled. So I put one in the fridge to chill last week. Just taken it out to sample and it's quite cloudy looking. tastes ok mind..

Any reason for this, or should I be worried and not finish the bottle before dinner?

Rich

I would just gve it a little more time
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Rich if you put the beer in the fridge and it was clear and when taken out it was hazy this is called chill haze very hard to get rid even breweries bottle conditioned ale suffer chill haze.If you just chill the beer to ale serving temp 12/13 degrees it should still be clear any colder and the chill haze starts to come in again,but it does not impart any different flavours to the beer.

Comment

I've got Coopers Draught bottled in PET bottles at the moment. I put two bottles in the fridge and it developed a haze similar to that you are talking about.
        Apparantly, Coopers stuff does suffer a bit with haziness, but I'm just going to give mine a bit longer to clear
        I LOVE MAKING WINE....JUST HATE DRINKING THE STUFF!!

Comment

Mr lil said-I've got Coopers Draught bottled in PET bottles at the moment. I put two bottles in the fridge and it developed a haze similar to that you are talking about.

Well if it is clear when going in and it comes out hazy then yes.
          What causes the haziness is the protein in the beer. If you turn the fridge to the coldest temp and leave them there for a few weeks this should make the protein drop to the bottom leaving you clear beer, but it depends if you want to go through the hassle of doing it and the wait for beer that will taste the same as with the haze in it.

Comment

Working...
          X