Seyval Blanc & "Secret Rosé" juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seyval Blanc & "Secret Rosé" juice

I'm just getting ready to pick up some Seyval Blanc juice from my local winery today. And probably the winery's "secret" rosé-juice. I think I will get 5 gallons of each, but I will only know when I get there, how much I'll actually buy! (Sometimes I get wrapped up in the moment!)

I'm also going to get an acid test kit and some tartaric acid while I'm there. I feel this will be my "Very first TA-experience" post.

I am very excited about this, and will use this post to document the process and ask questions about adjusting acid, etc, etc.

I will keep you posted when I get back!
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Haha, ended up with a Chardonnay and the secret rosé.

Chardonnay:
    Winery's info:
    Brix: 21.2
    TA: 0.95
    pH: 3.4

I double checked (I'm sure they have a more accurate measurement method, so I'm going with theirs):
    SG: 1.095
    TA: 0.98
    pH: 3.68

Secret rosé:
    Brix: 19.2
    TA: 0.97
    pH: 2.94

My measurements:
    SG: 1.080
    TA: 1.00
    pH: 3.73

Now it's time to read up on things!

Comment

Chardonnay:
      Okay, so far, I realize I need to drop the pH at least 0.1 for the Chard, so I need 1 tsp of tartaric acid.

My acid testing kit (woohoo!) says I need to get the TA down to 0.75 for white wines.

Furthermore, the kit says to lower the acid content of my must (which is 0.98), to consult my local homebrew store. But I consulted NorthernWiner's tutorial (thank you, by the way), and I guess I will cold-stabilise when the weather gets cooler. I have no idea if this will be enough, but I will give it a try and let you all know.

Secret rosé:
      TA is also too high for rosés. pH is ok(?? at 2.94?). Reds (according to the kit) should be at 0.65, and since whites are at 0.75, I'll go for the mean and assume 0.70 should be where it's at. Therefore, I will also cold-stabilise this one.

This is sooooo confusing - and scary!

Comment

Hi Danina,

Can't write very long right now (on the way out to dinner) but don't touch the Chardonnay - you are in a good spot with that one.

More later when I get back.

Steve
        Steve

Comment

Ok, as I was saying...

First, I just wanted to say very nice job with your analysis! Nothing to be fearful of - so far it sounds like you have everything well in hand.

These comments are just my opinion so please take them for what they are worth.

Your chardonnay has pretty good numbers. As you say, the acid is a bit on the high side but, depending on how you like your chardonnay, that might not be such a bad thing. I went to a wine dinner tonight and had one chard that was very good (and I'm not a chard drinker). The one thing I liked about it was that it had a little bit of acidic bite. Everything else... sugar, pH (depending on whose numbers you go by), looks fine. As you mention, you can bring the TA down by cold stabilising. And as an added bonus, cold stabilising can also be used to bring your pH down at the same time. (that's what I was going to tell you earlier but didn't have time)

You are spot on with your analysis of the secret rosé. It has low pH and high acid. In the end, the low pH is not a show-stopper and it's always better to be low than high (unless you want MLF). In addition, it will also go up a little during fermentation. Also a good candidate for cold stabilising, as you say.

Well done!

By the way, what is it about the rosé that makes it secret?

Steve
          Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve,

Another question to rack your brain..... My father loves franconian (German) wines, typically on the more acidic side... I want to make a franconian wine for himn with this Chard... I haven't found much about acidity and so on of Franconian wines ( northern bavaria) so it's sort of hard for me to get it right - for him.

danina

Comment

Franconian wines are the ones that come in the tear-shaped bottles, right? Most German wines are made from crisp grapes like Müller-Thurgau, Silvaner, or Riesling. Chardonnay is more muted in flavour, but could also work well because it's a good full bodied white. For this style, you probably want have a little more acid than a typical white wine, maybe .80% and it should be finished with a tiny bit of sweetness, perhaps 4 g/L sugar or less. Usually people don't even notice the sweetness because the acidity makes it taste drier than it really is. But if it's not there, it won't taste right. Definitely no oak, and no MLF like you would find with a California-style chardonnay.

Steve
              Last edited by NorthernWiner; 27-10-2007, 05:20 AM.
              Steve

Comment

Bravo Danina, seems you've got the ph testing off to a tee.
                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                  Bravo Danina, seems you've got the ph testing off to a tee.
                  Not sure about that, since the Chard is okay...

But I started the yeast starter this morning, and just put it into the must now. Mmmm, smells good already!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post

By the way, what is it about the rosé that makes it secret?

Steve
                    Thanks, Steve!

It's a secret because it's the winery's own blend of various grapes... Who knows? Maybe it's their own grape-cross!

Comment

It's starting!!!

The yeasties are doing their things!

Yay!

Comment

WoooHooo!

Celebrate with a bottle of wine!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Well, an update....

The secret-rosé is really fermenting nicely after adding the yeast starter. The Chard isn't doing too well, sort of limping along. I've made another yeast starter yesterday, added it this morning. (got frightened that the juice might - gasp - turn sour!) Right now, not much going on, but a little fizzy action is to be seen.

A little worried, but I'm sure I shouldn't worry. But I always worry about everything, so I guess this is normal.

To top it off, I ran out of demi-johns this weekend. (Well, I WILL when I have them filled)

Need to find more....

Dani

Comment

Chardonnay sometimes tends to be lacking in nutrients for the yeast. Have you added any sort of yeast nutrient or DAP to your juice? If not, that may help. It may also help prevent stinkiness from stressed yeast.
                            Steve

Comment

yes, I've added nutrient, but just to the starter... Perhaps I will add some to the wine itself.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                              X