supermarket grapes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supermarket grapes.

Would it be ok to use seedless grapes bought from the local shop to make a good quality wine.
    Or do they have to be a certain type of grape.

If you're talking about Thompson seedless, then the answer is no, they won't produce very good wine. While Thompson are the same species as wine grapes (vitis vinifera) they have too much juice and far too little flavor and sugar.

Unfortunately, the season for winemaking grapes has passed in our hemisphere. Unless you have a retailer who sells frozen grape must, you will likely have to wait until next year.

This is the season to think about making anything non-grape, or buying yourself a kit.

Steve
    Steve

Comment

Yup
      they make icky wine, no frozen must suppliers in the UK either, but we will be importing winemaking grapes in September, watch out for the announcement around August time.

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks for the reply this side and that side of the pond, i will keep my money in my pocket for now then. i have cider brewing and cranberry brewing aswell but im addicted to wanting to make more and more.

Comment

Originally posted by starsky007 View Post
          -----%<----- but im addicted to wanting to make more and more.
          It gets to the point that you start looking at everything in a "I wonder what that'd taste like as wine" sort of way.

Spooky!

HNY

John the fatbloke
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            ...no frozen must suppliers in the UK either...
            Hmmm.... sounds like a business opportunity to me.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
              It gets to the point that you start looking at everything in a "I wonder what that'd taste like as wine" sort of way.

Spooky!

HNY

John the fatbloke
              Yep, it happens to all of us
              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                Yup, know what you mean!
                National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Working...
                X