No announcement yet.

How concentrated is grape concentrate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How concentrated is grape concentrate?

So whats the ratio of concentrate to water to make plain old grape juice?
    David
    Wine making noob

They are all different, in kit form, to make 5 imp gallons wine must, some are 2 litres concentrate and 21 litres water, the kendridge founders series are 18 litres concentrate and 5 litres water, so as you can see, there is great variance

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by SpudtheBinx View Post
      So whats the ratio of concentrate to water to make plain old grape juice?
      I would suggest if you have concentrate that your unsure of add water in small increments and check the sg after each addition untill the sg you require is achieved.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

No 'magic' formula using sugar content/acidity/etc. of the concentrate to calculate how much grape juice was used to make the concentrate then?
        My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
          No 'magic' formula using sugar content/acidity/etc. of the concentrate to calculate how much grape juice was used to make the concentrate then?
          I would have thought it impossible to have a fixed amount, surely the brix on most grapes differ from season to season, vine to vine ?
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
            surely the brix on most grapes differ from season to season, vine to vine ?
            But surely not as much as the amount of concentration of kit grape juice, which gets as low as 350ml/gall with some cheap kits.
            Last edited by David; 07-02-2008, 07:51 PM.
            My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

some cheap kits have no grape juice in them at all, but are a mixture of elderberry juice and apple juice. (nothing wrong with that of course, but it always pays to read the label)
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                some cheap kits have no grape juice in them at all, but are a mixture of elderberry juice and apple juice. (nothing wrong with that of course, but it always pays to read the label)
                Trouble is that the labelling on wine kits is far behind that on other 'foodstuffs', and I say that because virtually all drinks sold in the UK are labelled with percentage content of each individual fruit juice, sugar content, etc. - but not wine kits/concentrate.

I have pursued the FSA about the need for improved labelling of winemaking ingredients in the past, without success. Time for a change I think (and not just a red traffic light symbol!).
                My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Trouble is that the labelling on wine kits is far behind that on other 'foodstuffs', and I say that because virtually all drinks sold in the UK are labelled with percentage content of each individual fruit juice, sugar content, etc. - but not wine kits/concentrate.

I have pursued the FSA about the need for improved labelling of winemaking ingredients in the past, without success. Time for a change I think (and not just a red traffic light symbol!).
                  Is this the same for all Wine Kits or just the ones sold in GB? Here, in Canada I know many say "uses the highest quality varietal grape juices and concentrates" for the most expensive ones - the ones with grape packs etc. What does the word concentrates actually mean and are they really the exact varietal? Cheers Daw

Comment

I was thinking that as even a cheap carton of drinking juice sold in UK has all the %s of each individual fruit juice used, together with the sugar content, E numbers, etc., the same level of information would assist in selection of kit concentrates.
                    My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

the same level of information would assist in selection of kit concentrates.
                      Indeed, that sort of information would be particularly useful
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                      X