08 Rondo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 08 Rondo

Harvested this years crop (what was left of it...bloody birds and squirrels....will have better netting next year)

the numbers were fantastic
    Brix 22
    PH 3.4
    TA 6g/l

only problem is....

there is only about 1/2 litre must...

5 years of work for 1/2 litre must!!!!!!

I'm devastated.

Still...onwards and upwards, I have added 1 litre of valpoliccella concentrate and 1 1kg tin of sol vino Italian Red concentrate, and made the batch up to 6 litres, it is in two 5 litre buckets on my kitchen drainer and I have pirtched a Lalvin RC-212 yeast

The two wine bottles arte kiwi fruit wine entries for the fixed recipe competition tomorrow night at wine circle (I'm degassing them) the one on the left is mine, the one on the right is Martina's
    Attached Files
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    Harvested this years crop (what was left of it...bloody birds and squirrels....will have better netting next year)

Brix 22
    PH 3.4
    TA 6g/l
    -----%<-----
    Been reading this book Bob (as recommended by "he who shall not be mentioned"). Couldn't resist it as it was only 1pence+£2.75 postage.

Anyway, the writer alludes to growing grapes and says about 3 years + to get a decent crop, but also explained about lots of other stuff.

Your post made me wonder, if maybe you're "too far north" and that Rondo might need a more favourable climate or is it entirely down to the squirrels and birds etc ?

Personally we haven't got enough room to grow vines as well as the other stuff we've got in and it just got me wondering..........

I mean, did the vines, pre-squirrel/bird visits, show enough promise of a decent crop or was it already ravaged by the rubbish weather this year ?

Cos I appreciate that even the couple of hundred miles can make a hell of a difference, what with average temps/rainfall etc (notwithstanding the last two summers of course). Plus being where we are, we're in the middle of the "Southern Grape triangle" etc and the various vineyards that seem to be up amongst the best of the English Wines.

regards

JtFB

p.s. Oh and I noticed the differences in colour between your, and Martinas' Kiwi. I was also wondering if you'd both used different recipes, yeasts, or something that might have caused that (and that I've got about 12lb of frozen Kiwi in the freezer waiting for some attention) ?
    Last edited by fatbloke; 02-11-2008, 03:33 PM.
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

The numbers on the grapes are perfect, so they are ok to grow here,(53 deg North) and yes it was looking like a good crop this year......

hey ho

hers were German Kiwi fruit....

I think the difference is less than it seems, could be the oranges behind the bottle making it look darker than it is
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

and the difference is ??????
        I wish I was a glow worm
        Cos a glow worm's never glum
        It's hard to be unhappy
        When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Don't be silly Zeb, they are all blonde Aryans - of course they'd be lighter.
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I had visions of the judge (after sampling) pronouncing his W's as V's and walking like John Cleese in that Fawlty Towers sketch.
            I wish I was a glow worm
            Cos a glow worm's never glum
            It's hard to be unhappy
            When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Brix 22
              PH 3.4
              TA 6g/l

only problem is....

there is only about 1/2 litre must...

5 years of work for 1/2 litre must!!!!!!

I'm devastated.

Still...onwards and upwards, I have added 1 litre of valpoliccella concentrate and 1 1kg tin of sol vino Italian Red concentrate, and made the batch up to 6 litres, it is in two 5 litre buckets on my kitchen drainer and I have pirtched a Lalvin RC-212 yeast

The two wine bottles arte kiwi fruit wine entries for the fixed recipe competition tomorrow night at wine circle (I'm degassing them) the one on the left is mine, the one on the right is Martina's
              I would think hunting would be a great addition to your hobby Bob roast squirrel with a red wine reduction sound yummy.
              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Also added about 10gram of minnesota white oak to each 3 litre batch
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

The numbers on the grapes are perfect, so they are ok to grow here,(53 deg North) and yes it was looking like a good crop this year......

hey ho
                  Bummer then matey. Though according "Hugh Farnborough-Whitby" or whatever he's called, there's a lot of meat on the hind legs of a squirrel so maybe it's time to put some lead in their ears, so they go round corners better (round the corner into yer pot ). And they only taste a little bit "gamey" - apparently.

I think the difference is less than it seems, could be the oranges behind the bottle making it look darker than it is
                  Or the light through the window or something.

I was thinking along the lines of maybe she peeled her kiwi's or you'd fermented on the pulp for longer and got a bit more colour out of the skins or some such.....

Probably time I got my kiwi's out the freezer.....

regards

JtFB
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                  X