Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port

I am looking for a port from grapes recipe. I think method here will be more important than quantities. The person that is interested is a customer of mine older fellow with no computer skills so I am asking for him.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Up the start gravity, to say 1.100.

Ferment to 1.030 and stop fermentation with brandy addition
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

That's confused me.

That would give an alcohol content of around 9%. Adding even 20% brandy would give us 15% alcohol.

In the Jack Keller recipe (admittedly for elderberry) sugar is added in stages. I used k1v-1116 yeast and got to 16.5%. If I add around 0.7l brandy per dj, that'll give me 19 - 20%, which seems the norm. I'll add sugar to get back to 1.030+
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        Up the start gravity, to say 1.100.

Ferment to 1.030 and stop fermentation with brandy addition
        I am now wondering about how to handle the grapes the fellow wants to use a blend of merlot and cab sauv. My brother in law's father makes a very good port but will not divulge anything except he chops the grapes after destemming claiming this increases color and body any thoughts?Also acid balance does any one have any ideas about where the acid levels should be?

Comment

1. Start with very ripe, high Brix grapes (preferably 26 brix or higher)
          2. Pitch yeast
          3. When Brix level reaches 6-8 degrees, add enough high alcohol spirits (I use 190 proof Everclear) to bring the alcohol level to 18-20%. You'll need to use a Pearson Square to determine the exact amount. This will stop fermentation, although probably not immediately.
          4. Press and age for a minimum of 2-3 years. The longer the better. A neutral oak barrel is the ideal vessel for aging port.

I have a 4-year old port made this way that tastes pretty yummy.
          Last edited by NorthernWiner; 22-01-2009, 10:18 PM.
          Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve. What is a Pearson square?

Comment

It's a formula used for blending. Basically you plug in the alcohol percentages for the base wine, the fortifier, and the desired percentage, and it tells you the ratio to use for mixing them.

More info (and a handy calculator) here:
              Steve

Comment

Very nice Steve thanks. This fellow has high percentage grapa on hand would this be the right ferment stopper?

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                  Very nice Steve thanks. This fellow has high percentage grapa on hand would this be the right ferment stopper?
                  Grappa is probably a very good option, since it's grape-based to begin with. Just remember that the higher the alcohol in the fortifier, the less it will take. Higher alcohol is better.
                  Last edited by NorthernWiner; 23-01-2009, 06:11 AM.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                    That's confused me.

That would give an alcohol content of around 9%. Adding even 20% brandy would give us 15% alcohol.

Sorry Pete

I needed to adjust those numbers....

(I add Spirit at 75%)

Sugar feeding would surely be an option. 15% ABV is a minimum for a port really, I like to aim for 18%
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Good day every one I have a couple more things I need answered about port making.I have found online a method that is very general in procedure and is what I am formulating my questions from? This procedure goes like this destem crush grapes let work 36-37 hours re crush drop initial sweetness to 50% put in a high percentage brandy 77% is what they use in Portugal barrel and store. I see no mention of taking out the grape or running the juice. I am not familiar with grape fermentation so is the second crush when the pulp is removed?Also acids and sulfites are not mentioned are they not in play here?

Comment

You can press either before or after adding the fortifier. I usually press after. I don't know if it makes that much difference, though. Just keep in mind that, once you add the fortifier, you should press as soon as possible. Grape seeds contain alcohol soluble tannins, so if you leave it too long, you may get some harsh astringency. Not a good thing in port.

Regarding acids and sulfite. You can use a little less sulfite with port than with a regular wine. Some oxidation over time adds some complexity to a fortified wine. As far as acid goes, sweetness usually needs more acid to balance it. In the case of port, the sweetness is somewhat balanced by the high alcohol. But you may still need to bump up the acid a bit before barreling. I would go by taste. If it tastes too flabby, then add a little acid.
                        Last edited by NorthernWiner; 23-01-2009, 07:42 PM. Reason: thought of more stuff
                        Steve

Comment

Ok Steve I do appreciate all your input. This fellow is very old country he is originally from the Azores. English is not his first nor written language but in his area port is not made. My brother in laws dad is from Gaia in Portugal where port is made and for some reason when I asked him about method he clammed up and said this fellow shouldn't be making port anyway go figure. Do you test acids and sulfites when port making or do they not matter?

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                            Do you test acids and sulfites when port making or do they not matter?
                            Sorry, I edited my post above to add information on sulfite and acid.

Funny about the guy "clamming up." He probably didn't know the answer. I come from Wisconsin, where a lot of cheese is made, but if someone asked me how to make cheese, I wouldn't know the answer either.
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                              Sorry, I edited my post above to add information on sulfite and acid.

Funny about the guy "clamming up." He probably didn't know the answer. I come from Wisconsin, where a lot of cheese is made, but if someone asked me how to make cheese, I wouldn't know the answer either.
                              Not in this case as I have tasted his port no it is something about the differences of region when this fellow tlks about old country the Azores are lower to him

Comment

Working...
                              X