Seyval anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seyval anyone?

Just a thought - is anyone else drinking this year Seyval yet?

I have struggled with the acid (no surprises there then) but after 4 weeks of cold stabilization I have a very pleasant white. Very dry even with the addition of 1 tsp elderflower cordial per litre. Clear unfiltered (so not shiny) and very pleasant indeed. I am even drinking the stuff out of choice (which goes against the grain a little for a confirmed red drinker).

Has anyone else started?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Mine is still pretty acidic, despite the significant amount which dropped out.

It would only clear down to a haze, so some has been treated with Bentonite, which appears to be working.

It is still in the DJs - I'm waiting as long as possible for as much acid to drop out as possible. I think it might need a bit of sweetness to counteract the acidity too.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Mine is pretty good - tons of acid dropped and it took a long time to clear but it looks like the wait was worth it.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Mine is crystal clear, it sat outside during the snow/cold spell & dropped masses of tartarates, it's now very pleasant albeit a tad on the acid side, it would have made a cracking sparkly.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
          it would have made a cracking sparkly.

some of mine is destined for sparkly production
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
            .......... sat outside during the snow/cold spell & dropped masses of tartarates, .............
            Exaclty what I did - it rained tartaric acid crystals like gravel - i must have had 2 to 3 kilos of the stuff per drum.

It will indeedy make a cracking sparkly. For the reocrd I have tried 100psi CO2 in a chilled pressure vessel, daily shaking etc etc - made it frothy but not sparkly. Will no bother with that again.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

... is there a market for tartaric acid crystals? We could all be rich !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                We spend a fortune on tartaric acid in home brew shops.
                National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                  Seriously, there is. Potassium bitartrate crystal is sold in markets as "cream of tartar," and is a byproduct of the winemaking industry.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                    Seriously, there is. Potassium bitartrate crystal is sold in markets as "cream of tartar," and is a byproduct of the winemaking industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_bitartrate
                    Correct and to buy for baking purposes is quite pricy.
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                    X