No crush winemaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No crush winemaking

Lets suppose your grapes are completely destalked and ready to go.

Could you press them and ferment the juice as against crushing and then pressing.

What would might I expect to be different in the subsequent wine?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Depends on the varietal, but you'll get something more akin to a rosé, i.e. much lighter in body/color than wine fermented on the skins. I made some Sangiovese like this a couple of years ago.
    Steve

Comment

Re-read your question. Are you talking about white grapes?

If so, then yes, you can press without crushing, assuming you have a press that's up to the task. The one advantage to crushing before pressing is that you can add pectic enzyme, give it a few hours to begin breaking down the skins, and then press, which will give better yields.

Going straight to press will result in a wine with brighter fruit flavors. It will be less complex than a wine with even short maceration time.
      Last edited by NorthernWiner; 29-04-2010, 05:18 PM.
      Steve

Comment

if you are going to try this you will want a bladder or hydraulic press , a basket press won't cut the mustard .
        Zac Brown
        Wayward Canuck
        Wandering Wino

Comment

Nice! This years elcectro-hydraulic birthday pressy will come in handy
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
          X