suggestion for vine variety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestion for vine variety

hi everyone looking to buy a vine to plant out in garden both for wine and to certain extent cosmetic as well(trail over pergola)looking for good cropper
    easy to look after
    has first time not looking for great tasting variety that doesnt crop well
    unless i can have both!
    looking for advice from any of you guys in the know
    many thanks

Rondo.....

fruity berries in Autumn, and leaves turn a nice red colour too (you will need too trim it regularly though)
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

IMO, taste rondo, it could be a bit spicy.
      Don't bother with REGENT the birds will just mow it.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Red or white?

One vine won't be enough. Be careful or you'll end up with a vineyard! It's how it starts..

Rondo is early on bud burst and therefore prone to frosts? Regent makes better wine and if you only have a few you can net them to keep the birds off?

You'll soon find that everyone has a viticultural opinion

For white try reichensteiner and/or seyval for larger crops. Madeline will do well also.

k

Comment

Originally posted by kessler View Post
          Red or white?

k
          Indeed a very good question. White might be easier in the UK.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

already have vitis vinfera (i think from wilkinsons) at bottom of garden 2nd year
            so was thinking red but can easily be swayed if white is easier to grow

Comment

It's not so much whether it will grow - it will. More will it ripen properly.

Comment

For the red types particularly it is worth considering when they ripen. Do you want an earlier crop or a later - depending on your micro-climate. When do you get the sunny dry bit - it varies across the country as does the light intensity (which is probably more important that pure sunshine)

Comment

live in the south east 30 miles outside london to the north so dont enjoy the couple of extra degrees the city generates any help?

Comment

hi cellar rat im located not far from you in luton

Comment

We have come a full circle I think.
                      For ease I certainly go with a resistant hybrid, so for red - regent or rondo on grafted root stock.
                      But cuttings would do if its just one for the bottom of the garden.

Comment

oooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeee

Very similar!

Comment

many thanks everyone
                          for the advice i thought red would have done better than white in a cooler climate so thanks again and lots to learn!

Comment

Working...
                          X