Digital Temperature controller for deep freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Temperature controller for deep freezer

I don't have a suitable pace for cold stabilization of my rather acidic wines.

But I have a large deep freeze that would take a few better bottles easy.

I've stumbled across this :

Need to control anything electrical based of temperature, this Ranco unit makes it easy.   Most commonly used to make a kegerator or fermentation...

Now that would work with my freezer, but does anyone know if these are available in Blighty? And anyone had any experience of using them?

Is the frequent switching on and off of the freezer detrimental to its long term viability? ie does it knacker my freezer?

TIA

k

Originally posted by kessler View Post
    I don't have a suitable pace for cold stabilization of my rather acidic wines.

But I have a large deep freeze that would take a few better bottles easy.

I've stumbled across this :

Need to control anything electrical based of temperature, this Ranco unit makes it easy.   Most commonly used to make a kegerator or fermentation...

Now that would work with my freezer, but does anyone know if these are available in Blighty? And anyone had any experience of using them?

Is the frequent switching on and off of the freezer detrimental to its long term viability? ie does it knacker my freezer?

TIA

k
    These work very well. You will need to get one phased to the European power system though. The AC current is a different phase rhythm than north America. You should be able to google problems with these to find out whether they shorten the freezer life.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
      These work very well. You will need to get one phased to the European power system though. The AC current is a different phase rhythm than north America. You should be able to google problems with these to find out whether they shorten the freezer life.
      IMO shouldn't affect the freezer - it not like it going on and off any more than it would using its own stat.

Presumably if this is a battery controlled unit driving a contactor - the 50/60hz phase difference should not affect it.

If you can find 'em in blightly lemme know!

.... hold on.

If you want this for cold stab you are looking for something around -1/+1 so I assume there is nothing else in the freezer.
      If that is the case spend £10 on a universal fridge stat and replace the one in the freezer. This will give you the necessary temp range. They will all be on spade terminals - plug it back to freezer when done!
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Ooh look at what I found!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          If you want this for cold stab you are looking for something around -1/+1 so I assume there is nothing else in the freezer.
          If that is the case spend £10 on a universal fridge stat and replace the one in the freezer. This will give you the necessary temp range. They will all be on spade terminals - plug it back to freezer when done!
          An universal fridge stat?

Eh?

Comment

How these work is they plug in between the power supply and the unit. They stop the flow in between when the temperature is where they are set at. In other words they interrupt the relay of electrical current. Do some research on the units. I have used these type of units for block heaters on trucks if the commercial ones are not phased correctly they burn. The ones we used had a converter plug used for if we were using generated power which is a different phase than hydro generated power. There is a difference here I realize between commercial type units and ones used for home. I just prefer to error on the side of caution. I was a volunteer firefighter when I lived on the Queen Charlotte Islands. I saw enough to be comfortable making error in this direction.
            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

An universal fridge stat?

Eh?

Something like this.

Heres another thought - these too have been up on the forum before....

This is probably the easier & quickest solution

One of these is on my shopping list.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post

Heres another thought - these too have been up on the forum before....

This is probably the easier & quickest solution

One of these is on my shopping list.
                That's ok for room cooling devices, but not freezer/fridge? The temp is measured at the plug not inside the freezer?

Comment

That's ok for room cooling devices, but not freezer/fridge? The temp is measured at the plug not inside the freezer?
                  My thinking was - an extension lead would get the in the freezer.

Comment

Chest or upright freezer - have another idea forming!

Comment

Chest

Comment

Working...
                      X