Got Some Free Grapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Some Free Grapes

Met this guy on Ebay (close to me in Bexley) who had some red grapes, basicly to swap for wine and from what he was saying that there was no more then a few kilos to pick

So I agreed that I would pop over and pick the grapes and maybe swap him a few bottles for wine for the grapes, he did'nt know what variety the grapes were only that "they are very sweet"

When I got there the Vine coverd the length of a south facing garage wall (and I brought my single bucket for the few kilos ) the bucket was soon full and the Guy brought out some more bags to carry the grapes
    in, after about an hour of picking we had some 5 bags and one bucket of grapes

Once I got home and weighed the grapes there is some 40 kilos of grapes, so I agreed with the guy to go 50 / 50 on the bottles of wine from the grapes.

Managed to destalk about 5kgs of the grapes but once crushed in a bucket the grapes produced more of a greeney (a little red) color of grape juice......is this about right for British red grapes or could these be
    eating grapes rather then wine grapes?
    Attached Files

SG and acidity readings solly?

what colour are the seeds?

if there are no seeds they are definitely eating grapes...they do, however look like Hamburg grapes
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 01-10-2010, 12:56 AM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

looks exactly like the grapes i was given have a dj of what looks like a rose.rest were added to some of the trebbiano to lower sg
      http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
      http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Sorry for the late reply.......just been busy on Cars (And thanks to Pete for his help on the Cilo)

The 5 kilos are were crushed on Thursday night gave just over a gallon of must and I added a campden tablet as well.......the must on Thurdsay looked like a green slime but its now more of a Rose' colour.

The SG is 1.050 and the acidity reading is 3.0ppt (Sulphuric) but I would'nt take the acidity reading as accurate as its the first time I've used the kit and looking for a colour to pink to quite hard as the must is a pinkly colour anyway

I just dont wont to destalk another 35 odd kilos only to find out that they are eating grapes

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        what colour are the seeds?

if there are no seeds they are definitely eating grapes...they do, however look like Hamburg grapes
        The seeds are a yellowie / brownie colour and about the same size as the Merlot seeds
        Last edited by solly; 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM. Reason: Forgot about the seeds!!

Comment

Was'nt sure what to do, so I destalked some of the remaining grapes to give just over 20LTs, which was early this afternoon and also added a couple of campen tablets.

Looked this evening and a very small cap had formed, so thought it want's to ferment so might as well give it a helping hand added just under 2kgs of sugar to bring the SG upto 1.085 and added Lalvin RC212 yeast starter.........and the colour of the must is starting to turn from a Rose' to more of a Red Colour.
          Attached Files

Comment

I think they are Hamburg(ish). But don't worry all grapes can be fermented and will produce wine. Winemaking grapes are just better at it.

The loss of colour is also a english grape thing - panic not. Leave them on the skins a bit longer to get a better colour extraction.

You will need to consider your acid levels with these - cold stabilization may be enough, maybe chalk might help. I am sure these will make a nice wine, but they might take a bit longer to mature. I would tell your mote, not to expect to be drinking this at Xmas lunch (least not this year).

In a few months when the wine is good 'n ready you might want to consider blending with a big dark wine, Merlot or elderberry perhaps.

English Red wine eh!!
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
            X