French vineyards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French vineyards

Does anyone now about buying grapes in (northern) France?

1. Ideas who may/may not sell them ?
    2. Do you have any contacts ?
    3. Vineyard maps ?
    4. Good web addresses ?

..well anything really
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

I'm not sure grapes from northern France are any better than grapes from southern England, thats why we keep beating them in comps the last two years

I trundled around quite a few French vineyards, and they told me they sold to the co-operative and were not allowed to sell to anyone else!

I did however source reisling grapes from 2 german vineyards, but never got the deal fully together, the transport end of it being the sticking point, but it worked out about 1,000 uk pounds (no pound sign on this pc) per ton (juiced) but needed to be collected. (maybe your buddy with the 7 tonner could help?)

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

The project wasnt helped by my very poor French speaking skills
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

8u33er ! (oops said that out loud!)
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

How serious are you and define Northern France. I assume you mean Loire valley (as Champagne would price us out). When I went vineyard hunting 2 years ago (in the Loire and Bordeaux regions) I met a few, the problem being that either they sold to cooperatives (usually an agreed %age of their production) or produced the wine themselves. If they sell to a cooperative this is the least profitable venture for them and if they haven't guaranteed their full production that may be the opportunity. In Bordeaux for example they were selling to cooperatives for about 500euro for a tonneau. A tonneau is 900 litres. On average the vineyards would have a yield of 5000 litres per hectare. For a tonneau of wine it requires approx 1300-1400kg of grapes so working this through it appears (very approximately) as if we would have to pay (probably considerably) more than 500euro per tonne + shipping costs and find someone prepared to sell this way. I am sure that this would be possible though.

Loire wines tend to be more expensive, unless we go to buy Gros Plant or cheaper Muscadet where I would expect it to be about the same.

If you are still keen then I suggest we contact the local Chambre d'Agricultures who would undoubtedly know who the struggling vignerons are and who may be prepared to sell this way. If we work out the details of how we would ship (at GF perhaps) etc then I would be happy to make some calls. Fortunately I do speak French fluently and if I do get stuck Mrs W (who is French) can always step in. I do find French businessmen intolerably difficult to deal with though.
          Last edited by SiSandrine; 02-09-2011, 12:08 PM. Reason: Typo on tonneau/1000l
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
          X