Malo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malo

When is the best time for the MLF culture to be added for REDS?

Got all the tech instructions, but for red nobody mentions - before or after pressing ? I think before, BUT if I add it now, in two days I will be pressing ? And that will remove 15% volume (skins).

Should I wait until after pressing ?
    Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 19-09-2011, 07:59 AM.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Read the instructions for the mlf culture you are using, I believe they vary.

The White Labs mlf that I'm using this year says to add before pressing so that it has stuff to feed on. More info HERE

Edit: I see you've read your instructions.. What make are you using?

Cut/paste from White Labs site on above link:

What occurs if added after pressing?

Q: I am an amateur wine maker. My local wine shop suggested that I try your Malolactic cultures. I crushed cabernet grapes and fermented them for 7 days. Your instructions make it sound like I should have added it to the must and let it ferment longer before pressing the must. Please let me know if I have done this wrong.

A: It is best to add the Malo before pressing so that the bacteria will have some sort of nutrients to work with. If the culture is added after pressing, it may just take a little longer to begin MLF, but should be enough to take off (although slowly). In addition, adding yeast extract or a complete yeast nutrient can help the fermentation be successful, even after pressing.
    Last edited by Rich; 19-09-2011, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I favored before pressing, but got concerned about 15% loss of vol.

I am using BioStart® Vitale SK11 from brewland - see attached tech sheet.
      Attached Files
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I added my MLF culture immediately following crushing, at the same time as myn normal yeast. This was the advice given by Hente Sweigers at the MLF masterclass I attended last year.

I posted a thread about it, but cant find it right now (busy)
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

here it is

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Mal-o, Mal-o man.
            I got to be,
            A Mal-o Man!
            Malo-o, Mal-o man.
            I got to be,
            A Mal-o Man!

I'm adding after pressing because I'm a bit of a spiv.
            Last edited by koomber; 19-09-2011, 12:40 PM. Reason: More!
            Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
            Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
            -Police Squad

Comment

is that sung to the tune of spider pig perchance Graham?
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                is that sung to the tune of spider pig perchance Graham?
                Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                -Police Squad

Comment

oh lordy!
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Yikes.

Anyway - malo is in.

Comment

Macho song was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7DqwRKqyMk&ob=av2e

I hate myself already for posting this

Comment

Eek!
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I normally add malo after pressing and settling - just after it goes to barrel (or carboy). This is what I was advised by several California winemakers on another forum, who argued that pressing aerates the wine and can wreak havoc with ML bacteria. Worst case is that adding ML before pressing can supposedly raise levels of volatile acidity.

Now I don't know if this true or not. For years I added malo at the start of fermentation, with seemingly no ill effects. But the Cali guys insisted (as usual) their way was the right way.

Personally, I don't think it matters all that much. Grapes coming in from the field have natural occurring ML bacteria on their skins, along with yeast cells. So there is ML bacteria present at the start of any fermentation.
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                            .. Grapes coming in from the field have natural occurring ML bacteria ..
                            Very good point. Have you noticed any difference - either way ?

Comment

Yes, the earlier I add the ML culture, the less time it takes to complete. If I add it at the start, it's usually finished within a week or two of pressing. If I add it in the barrel, it takes 6 weeks or longer.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X