X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First MLF

Grahem,

Thanks again for you talk at Grapefest.

For the MLF test I followed your instructions.....

15:00 Started the 2 tests - noted that the cappillary action takes a while .
    19:00 Had to nip out to a Fireworks party
    23:45 Got back. Lifted out and dried off.
    00:30 No obvious marks - no coloring of paper.
    06:00 Now dry I could clearly see where the winespots had risen. The paper is a pale 'bird egg' blue. NO other marks or spots.
    Nowhere near the definite patterns we saw in your sample.

Either MLF has completed in both wine's -- or more likely i think I have left it too long and they have washed out?

If so do they wash out in the solvent or fade when drying?

Test rerunning now.. I think maybe this is a test your start first thing in the morning.

PS ... lordy lordy that solvent does honk!!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Not to sure what might have happened here. Did you run the test with some spots for lactic or malic acid to compare against?
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Comment

Unfortunately not

Good news though. The retest was a bit better. Athought still quite pale, it has the upper white shadows, but not any black spots at all, so I guess the MLF is done.

I will retest the second wine tomorrow.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
        Unfortunately not

Good news though. The retest was a bit better. Athought still quite pale, it has the upper white shadows, but not any black spots at all, so I guess the MLF is done.

I will retest the second wine tomorrow.
        These are pretty good instructions:

One thing that will help is to spot the wine and let it dry then spot it again and let dry. Repeat this a couple of times to get a nice strong dot.

You need to let the wine dry for a couple of minutes otherwise the spot gets bigger and blurry. By keeping it toight you should get better definition. Hope that helps!
        -Police Squad

Comment

Thanks for the PDF. Might be humidity.
          Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 07-11-2011, 07:58 AM.

Comment

I might be on to something here...
            Noticed this morning the solvent has separated. Top 90% orange. Lower 10% oily heavier and clear.
            Vigorous shaking will not combine and it settles out in again in < 30 seconds.
            So I when you pour it gently you get the upper orange component only.

Any thoughts, how I recombine it?

Is it me - has anyone else experienced this? Have I stored it incorrectly?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 08-11-2011, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              I might be on to something here...
              Noticed this morning the solvent has separated. Top 90% orange. Lower 10% oily heavier and clear.
              Vigorous shaking will not combine and it settles out in again in < 30 seconds.
              So I when you pour it gently you get the upper orange component only.

Any thoughts, how I recombine it?

Is it me - has anyone else experienced this? Have I stored it incorrectly?
              It's fine. You only need the orange component. PArt of the process of making it means that you end up with a water-insoluble orange layer and a water-soluble clear layer. I hoped that I managed to seperate them enough to prevent that. Just use the orange layer and it should be okay.

Sorry about that folks!
              -Police Squad

Comment

Working...
              X