No announcement yet.

2007 Montepulciano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I racked the monte (both runs) and it smells fantastic. Had a little taste (as you do) and although it's rough, there are some great tastes developing.

How long do you think I should leave it in dj's? I was thinking of filtering then bottleing over christmas then leaving it to mature in the bottles. What do you think?
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• It's your shout mate, the more the bulk the better, but if your struggling for space then 1 gal d/j's or bottle if you have to, bulk ageing is best but not allways open to us all.,, Your choice dude
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
        It's your shout mate, the more the bulk the better, but if your struggling for space then 1 gal d/j's or bottle if you have to, bulk ageing is best but not allways open to us all.,, Your choice dude
        Think of it this way: Each bottle is its own micro-environment. Each could age differently. Not that it would, but it could.

Think of making biscuits instead of bread. Each biscuit might be a little different than if you would have baked a whole loaf of bread of the same dough. The same thing for the wine. Each biscuit is each bottle. A loaf is the demijohn.

That's how I like to think of it, at least.
        Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
        Twitter: VirtualWineO
        Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

• Ok guys, i'm gonna leave it alone for now. The bulk of my Monte is in dj's but I have some from each run in 1 pint milk bottles under airlocks. I also have 1 pint that I managed to salvage from the racking process that is a mixture of both runs, I intend to use this for top up. I will be looking for more suitable containers for these odd balls.

So, how do you get a loaf into a dj and isn't racking going to be a problem?

Sorry, I can't help my self

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
            So, how do you get a loaf into a dj and isn't racking going to be a problem?

Sorry, I can't help my self

Yes, but it takes talent to do so.
            Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
            Twitter: VirtualWineO
            Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

• Had a taste of the Monte again, it's starting to smooth out now. The 2 runs are different in just about every way - colour, smell, taste etc. 6 months to "Grapefest 08"!!!

Comment

• Filtered and bottled the second run today, got 7 bottles and 1 pint from it. I might do a blending trial in the near future to use up the odd amount left over. It looks like the 1st run will give me 13-14 bottles. Not too bad considering that the grapes didn't yield as much juice as expected.

Comment

• We will get more from them this year though dude, I've sourced some good enzyme
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Oh......

and 4 1/2 months to go ....well 132 days to be precise
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Is it warm and dry there in September ?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Sometimes.

It can be the best month of the year if it gets its act together.
                        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          Oh......

and 4 1/2 months to go ....well 132 days to be precise
                          Bring it on, yeeehaaaw!!!!!

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                          Is it warm and dry there in September ?

Will prob be warm, will def be wet when all those corks get pulled.

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                          Sometimes.

It can be the best month of the year if it gets its act together.
                          Sept WILL be the best month, it's grapefest

Comment

• 130 Days to Go!!!!

it reached 70 degress here today whoo hoo
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Same here... it's actually supposed to get to 75 later in the day.

Now I want to see some buds bursting... dammit!
                              Steve

Comment

• temp

Not here yet still cool about 55 F but we do have a few leaves showing on the cottonwoods.
                                http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Working...
                                X