Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    but if I get time I will takee some photos tomorrow to demonstrate
    Only if it's not an inconvenience to you.
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
      Like I said - loony tunes

I'm already thinking about a second run. If I freeze the skins will I need to prep a new yeast starter or will the original yeast survive?
      Probably but not necessarily, yeasties are pretty tough, but freezing them might kill them, not sure. But you may find that they just fire straight up again once they get warm.

Why freezing them? can you not just fire the 2nd run up straight away?

just a note:

When doing 2nd runs (I think Glenvall mentioned it earlier)
      go for less alcohol than the first run..
      If I'm just adding sugar water and nutrient then i go for half the size of the first batch, if I'm adding the skins to a kit wine (great idea) then i go for the same size as the first batch

but remember nutrient levels are really important in 2nd run wines...better too much than not enough

does that make sense?
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Yes that makes sense. The 2nd run wine should also be slightly higher ph, slightly lower acid, less tannins, little to no oak. The aim is to make a young drinking wine, in a sort of beaujolais or bergamais style, or even like a white zin or white merlot.

Not an expert, I just retain alot of what I read elsewhere.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I think freezing the yeast would kill them. Although simple organisms, I think the cold shock would stop their little hearts for good.

Comment

Possibly so, but yeasties have been found in Antarctica, and they are unbelievably tough, but I think they would more than likely die, but i wouldnt bet money on it
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              Possibly so, but yeasties have been found in Antarctica, and they are unbelievably tough, but I think they would more than likely die, but i wouldnt bet money on it
              Oh, is there an antartic wine-strain that I haven't heard about?

Comment

no....but there is an antarctic one
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I apologise for my lack of alphabetisation.

Can I get this antarctic wine yeast? My winery gets awfully cold in the wintertime.

Comment

Hows the ferment going Bob? Mine has picked right up now, start sg 1.100, last night 1.090, will check again later. Pushing the cap down every 4hrs or so.
                    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Picking up slowly, there was a small cap formed and so there is fermentation activity underway, but its slow due to the low temps in the winery (still 58F this morning) however the must temp is just over 60 so it is starting to generate its own heat. The slower ferment will suit as it will mean a longer maceration, which should produce more of everything..(colour, phenols etc) but I will keep a close watch on it to make sure it is still progressing, if needs be I will fire up some heaters.

I punched the cap down this morning and added a layer of CO2 again just to be super safe.

pics are:
                      Left: Trebbiano underway
                      Middle: Montepulciano underway
                      Right: CO2 being fed under the tarp on the fermentation tank.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by lockwood1956; 23-09-2007, 12:23 PM.
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Looking good Bob.

Might move my Trebbiano out to the garage.. It was in a Better Bottle, but it's going so well it wanted out.. All over the walls etc. It's now in a bigger bucket prob lost a couple of glasses worth!

The Montepulciano is in your 2 big white bins in the dining room (yes, I am Mr Popualr at the moment!) and is going well, just off to push the cap down again now.

The organic Sangi batch has formed a cap, this morning I pushed it down.. might do it again later too. it looks a lot thiner than the Monte though. Will the yeast do anything to the unburst grapes?, or should I try to burst all of them?

Pics later, I'll take the camera with me.

Rich

Comment

Well whole berry fermentation is practiced around the world, but I think to be safe, while punching the cap you may want to give them berries a squeeze
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Ok, will squeeze my berries..

How's the bottle of green doing?

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                              The Montepulciano is in your 2 big white bins in the dining room (yes, I am Mr Popualr at the moment!)
                              He he he... I know what you mean. Here is a pic of my living room at the moment. These are the times that test any marriage, eh? Steve

2007WineBuckets.jpg
                              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                                How's the bottle of green doing?

Rich
                                Its fermenting slooooooooooooooooooooowly
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X