2007 Montepulciano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now we are properly underway

left: cap before punching middle: cap after punch down right: Trebbiano fizzing

YAY!
    Attached Files
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Do I see a nail on that cap of red pulp?

Fascinating!

Killer pics!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

SG today 1.030, it's going like the clappers!
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
          He he he... I know what you mean. Here is a pic of my living room at the moment. These are the times that test any marriage, eh? Steve

[ATTACH]464[/ATTACH]

Yep know where your coming from as well, my fermenting bucket in the bedroom gave off an awfull eggy smell recently which didnt go down too well with my dearest.

Comment

Originally posted by jake47 View Post
            Yep know where your coming from as well, my fermenting bucket in the bedroom gave off an awfull eggy smell recently which didnt go down too well with my dearest.
            I try to blame it on the dog.
            Steve

Comment

Temperature today is 64 deg F
              S.G. is 1.084

so its only dropped 16 points in 3 days, so slow progress indeed, but colour extraction is looking good. A very thick cap formed today (about 8" deep)
              The Trebbiano overflowed, so had to remove some from the Carbuoy..

cheers
              Bob
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 24-09-2007, 06:57 PM.
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

SG 1.014, should I press & transfer to secondary?

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

I'm waiting till a little lower than that (probably 1.004) before pressing, but you could press now if you wanted, sure. (are you adding MLF)

shows the difference temperature makes eh

mine sitting at 64 deg F and 1.076

So will likely not be pressing till Sunday

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    mine sitting at 64 deg F and 1.076
                    Hey Bob, I was just kind of curious why you choose to ferment so cool? I tend to go the opposite route with reds... well, sort of. After a 2-day cold soak, I usually let the must warm up to about 60 F before pitching yeast, and then use an electric blanket to drive the temps up to the mid 80's for a day or two. After that I cut off the heat and let them drop back down to the 70's before pressing.

I think it helps improve the colour, but may be a long cool ferment has the same effect?

Steve
                    Steve

Comment

(are you adding MILF)
                      What web sites have you been on?

I know nothing of MLF so the answer is no, will check SG again in the morning and prob press then.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                        Hey Bob, I was just kind of curious why you choose to ferment so cool? I tend to go the opposite route with reds... well, sort of. After a 2-day cold soak, I usually let the must warm up to about 60 F before pitching yeast, and then use an electric blanket to drive the temps up to the mid 80's for a day or two. After that I cut off the heat and let them drop back down to the 70's before pressing.

I think it helps improve the colour, but may be a long cool ferment has the same effect?

Steve
                        I have gone this route because I fancied the idea of the extended maceration, and because it is cold outside (50's) and the winery isn't heated, i thought i would just run with it
                        it may come back and bit me in the QUACK!QUACK!QUACK! !
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

it may come back and bit me in the QUACK!QUACK!QUACK! !
                          Nah... being the lucky guy you are it'll probably only get you some more damn medals.
                          Steve

Comment

Just pressed the skins and secondary fermentation underway.

Bob, I took your advice about a second run, just using sugar and nutriant. Start Sg on second run 1.080.

Lessons learned from my first pressing session;

1. I only had a fine mesh straining bag, would have been better with coarse, then fine if required. Will get a coarse bag tomorrow.

2. Buy a bloody press!

Comment

How much sugar/water did you use rich to get those figures for the second run Rich?

Think mine should be about ready tomorrow to press. Bought a coarse straining bag today.. If only Bob and his press were closer...
                              Last edited by Rich; 26-09-2007, 04:17 PM. Reason: Spulling

Comment

Sounds like y'all are doing a great job!

Rock on!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Working...
                                X