No announcement yet.

Grapefest 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I've pitched everything, and I'm into my usual 'nothing is happening' worried state

I hope things do fire up because I don't have any more RC212.

One fermenter is in the garage, the must temperature is 16c. Is that warm enough to get going, or shall I bring it indoors?
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• To be honest reds prefer a higher fermenting temp, if it's not going to cause matrimonial problems then yes bring it indoors, don't worry about the slow start mine is the same by this time tomorrow you'll have a nicely formed cap.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Sneaked it into the dining room while she was out

20c in there.

I just hope the two with the D47 starter fire up soon - absolutely no sign of life yet. Must go and do something else and stop worrying
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Mine are all in the garage, as they've been banned from the house this year. (I splashed the recently decorated walls last year..)

Had a late afternoon push down of the cap, and they all seem to be going really well now. Yeast was Pitched late Sat eve. I'll leave it a few days before taking the SG again.

Comment

• Mwahahahahah!!

Fizz!!

Bubble!!

Bloop!!!

Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Mine has started fermenting as well, ok it's slow but I only chucked the yeast in last night.
              National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Chucked the yeast in?????

what sort of way is that to be going on?
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I'm saying nothing
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    Chucked the yeast in?????

what sort of way is that to be going on?
                    Well, mine was a properly prepared yeast starter, unlike the pikey, rip open the packets and sling it in method.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                      Richard and Martina acting the goat.
                      [ATTACH]1692[/ATTACH]
                      Richard doesn't have to act.
                      Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                      Twitter: VirtualWineO
                      Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

• Pikeys are naturals with goats sheep and horses
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I know, I have seen the film.

Comment

• MEANWHILE (before THAT exchange gets out of hand .... )

I talked to Carl about second runs - the technique appears to be to chuck in the concentrate from a cheap kit (presumably a 30 bottle kit on top of, say, 5 boxes-worth of skins), adjust SG and TA, and off you go.

Any particular recommendations on which kits to use (and, just as important, which ones NOT to use)? I'm thinking ahead because I'll probably have to mail-order them pretty soon.
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• I used a carafe 21 kit last year, and wasn't too pleased with the results. So, don't go too cheap on the kit.

This year I've got a BIG tub of white concentrate to make a Rosé with one lot, and a cheap chardonnay kit to make an interesting Rosé with the other.

Comment

• I used the magnum kits with the cilieguilio last year, the results are promising, but I think stepping up to the magnum ultimate kits this year, will be the preferred option or maybe even heron bay or beaverdale. (on a side note, Winexpert now own Heron Bay by the way)

I also intend freezing some of the skins as fruit wine additions

I have frozen 21 litres o f the trebbiano juice also, to use as per Steves Icewine tutorial. (excited about that)

regards
                                Bob
                                Last edited by lockwood1956; 16-09-2008, 09:03 AM.
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X