No announcement yet.

Grapefest 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a feeling at least one of my reds has stuck.

SG of the Grenache was 1.002 at racking on Thursday, and is still at 1.002. I have moved one DJ to a warmer area, given it a shake etc, but nothing - no bubbles visible, no airlock activity, no fizzing noises.

I'll be checking SGs again in the morning, but is it too early to be thinking about stuck fermentations?

(p.s. Trebbiano racked this morning at 1.021 and going strongly in secondary)
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
      No, I've just blindly followed Bob's advice..
      Well.......

bob did a second run just using sugar water, acid and nutrient
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
        I'll be checking SGs again in the morning, but is it too early to be thinking about stuck fermentations?

I wouldnt worry too much.....

keep an eye on the SG..
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Both lots of my reds are now pressed and in Carboys. The white was transfered over too.

Some of the skins have transformed 2 white kits into Rose wine. The rest of the skins have been bagged up into 1lb bags and frozen for later use.

What an enjoyable week I've had...

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            I wouldnt worry too much.....

keep an eye on the SG..
            Grenache: Still around 1.002 (as per Thursday). MIGHT have dropped a TINY amount, but that might be down to operator error.

Cilewhatsit: 0.997 - ditto

Sangiovese: 0.996 - was 1.004 just before racking on Thursday, so not too worried.

Bob, let me know when I should start panicking

(or anyone else for that matter)

Trebbiano - into secondary yesterday at about 1.020 - still going strongly.

Sangiovese Rosé - still in a topped up 5l fermenter under airlock and going well.

Second runs:

Grenache (with RGC): 1.027
            Sangiovese (with Magnum kit): 1.022

I'm amazed at this because they were only started Thursday night and they've been sitting in a cool garage. I'm tempted to rack the Sangiovese straight away whilst the fermentation is still strong - maybe it will keep going
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

Grenache: Still around 1.002 (as per Thursday). MIGHT have dropped a TINY amount, but that might be down to operator error.
              That's it then it's ruined, poor it all down the drain and slap yourself on the rist.

Just kidding mate, why not try giving the yeasties a little stir they could be lying dormant in the lees, also a little oxigen may kick start them into action.

Bob, let me know when I should start panicking

(or anyone else for that matter)
              Start to panic........

NOW!!!!!

No need to panic in this game, patience is of greater value (preach preach)

As for the second runs, it's quite normal for them to ferment so quickly, you have introduced fermentables to an active yeast colony so therefore no lag phase, rack it at about 1.015 and all should be well and try to transfer a little of the lees over to ensure you have some yeast there.
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Thanks for the sympathy

Stirring now .....
                Pete the Instructor

Comment

• I have one thing to add Fermaid yeast energizer.This stuff will get a stuck fermentation going that is already high in alcohol.
                  http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• Thanks rjb. If it is anything like Tronozyml, Karl will go mad if I add it
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

Thanks rjb. If it is anything like Tronozyml, Karl will go mad if I add it
                      I am unsure of Tronozyml It may be a nutrient The fermaid stuff has vitamins for yeast and different yeast nutrients than regular nutrient kind of like a jump start.here is a link that may help.http://www.grapestompers.com/article...rmentation.htm

Comment

• Grenache 2nd run down to 1.019 - almost ready to rack.

I suppose a 3rd run is taking it a bit far, isn't it?

Actually, I don't know why I'm asking that. I now have a capacity problem - all of my gallon DJs (about 40) will be full soon. Waiting for a reply from my local HBS re: 5 gal glass carboys.

Still not panicking about the 1st run Grenache
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• I had a port that hung after fermenting down to 1.0222 a start of 1.125. This was a kit. What I did was steal some red I had fermenting a dn started a yeast culture from that I made sure it was one that was started with EC-1118 this is an excellent yeast to get a stuck ferment going. I took out 3 thieves worth of the working red I added yeast nutriant to it and energiser and one theif of the hung port. over the next couple days ai added more of the port in ceasing the amount by twice each addition I then added this alcohol tolerant culture to the hung ferment and it restarted.

Comment

• All I have done so far is take some skins and a bit of the lees from the Grenache 2nd run, and add it to the 1st run fermenter, to see if that will kick-start it.

So far - a little bit of activity.

Grenache 2nd run racked at 1.013. I now have 3 x 1gal DJs bubbling nicely.
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

All I have done so far is take some skins and a bit of the lees from the Grenache 2nd run, and add it to the 1st run fermenter, to see if that will kick-start it.

So far - a little bit of activity.

Grenache 2nd run racked at 1.013. I now have 3 x 1gal DJs bubbling nicely.
                              That is basically the same idea Add something that is actively fermenting to the stuck one good luck.

Comment

• Grenache SG 1.001. Has it dropped? Possibly a fraction, but again, might be operator error.

Still not panicking
                                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X