No announcement yet.

Grapefest 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For my wine which doesn't appear to have fermented to dryness, would it be prudent to add sulphite + sorbate now, or just age as-is and stabilise later?
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
      For my wine which doesn't appear to have fermented to dryness, would it be prudent to add sulphite + sorbate now, or just age as-is and stabilise later?
      Anyone?
      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Personally I would wait a tad longer(I am wirth mine, i think there is slight activity)......its under airlock protected by CO2 so there is no real hurry.

but if you wanted to you "could" stabilise
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• No, I'll exercise patience and wait. See, I'm learning
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• If there is a noticeable amount of lees, go ahead and rack off it, then bulk age, topped up very well. (as I know you do) You might also try warming it up some. Some ferments are known to go on for a few months very slowly. Don't let the airlock go dry.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Thanks Hippie.

I'd normally add sulphite every other racking, and I would guess that would kill off any small amount of fermentation that still might be happening.

The DJs have 1/2 inch of lees already, so it must be time to rack again

I can give the DJs a new home in my cupboard under the stairs, where the temperature will be 17 - 18c.
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Racked all mine today. The Rioja kit with the Grenache skins on is going to be fab stuff.
                National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• I'm going to rack all of mine (except the Grenache) hopefully this weekend

although I'm working on Saturday
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    I'm going to rack all of mine (except the Grenache) hopefully this weekend

although I'm working on Saturday
                    I hope to do the same with all the first run stuff, not sure about 2nd run. I'm doing this Saturday because we need the dining table for Sunday
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• I got a second run bottled today.. well, sort of a second run. Did a cheap Chardonnay kit with soem Grenache skins in to make it rosé. Cleared with some finnnings and then filtered. Need to get the carboy space! It tastes ok, if a little young but it should improve I hope. It'll be fine for next years BBQ's.

Opened a econd run Monte from last year, one that had aged on some oak chips. Last time I tasted it it was a little chipboard like tasting, now it tastes a little better, hopefully it'll taste less chipboard like soon!!

Comment

• Well.....

the reality is that Red (grape) wines should age for three years to be anywhere near their best.......

so be sure and save some boys and girls, it truly is worth the wait. At wine circle last monday I took a three year old kit wine (a selection LTD edition) and it was truly scrumptious, well worth the wait.

regards
                        Bob
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Age for three years.. Do you not understand my impatience..

I'm hopeing it will age that long, or at least most of it!

Still got 4 gallons of the monte left from last year ageing in demijons, trying really hard not to bottle it, as it'll then get sampled too often.

Comment

• Degassed my Grenache 2nd run tonight (Grenache skins plus RGC).

Due to a kitten-based spillage (don't ask, but imagine a red wine tidal wave sweeping across the kitchen) I had 500ml of degassed but not-clear wine to dispose of. It's pretty bland at the moment, but maybe time (and maybe some oak) might sort that out.

WHY DOES EVERYBODY LOOK LIKE BOB??
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                              Degassed my Grenache 2nd run tonight (Grenache skins plus RGC).

Due to a kitten-based spillage (don't ask, but imagine a red wine tidal wave sweeping across the kitchen) I had 500ml of degassed but not-clear wine to dispose of. It's pretty bland at the moment, but maybe time (and maybe some oak) might sort that out.

WHY DOES EVERYBODY LOOK LIKE BOB??
                              Some sort of magic mushroom I think
                              Last edited by medpretzel; 29-10-2008, 11:53 PM. Reason: fixed the quote
                              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Some of the skins from the Grenache went into a Beaverdale Rioja kit. Some of the colour was extracted as well as boquet and flavour. From past experiance of tweaking this kit, I have noticed that adding extra tannin brings out the fruity flavours and pushes them forward. The Grenache skins seem to have done this quite well. I bottled this wine to drink while the good stuff comes good, my only regret is not adding more oak.
                                National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Working...
                                X