• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll check in the morning. Absolutely donald'd at the moment
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• looks like you all had a great time .... hopefully i'll make it next year, giving me time to hone my skills and bring a nice bottle or two with me ;-)
      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Is there any chance somebody could post a pic of the colour of there Ciliegiolo? I'm a bit concerned mine isn't as dark as it should be.

Comment

• I can't post a pic because it is already racked, and the two carboys are different colours.

I think photos don't allways give a true reproduction anyway.

Mine is significantly lighter in colour than the Merlot. Provided you got your hands in there and actively squished the grapes two, three or four times a day during the first couple of days in primary, it should be fine.

Last year, Rich didn't squish much and I did (well, Mrs. Goldseal did). The difference in colour was huge.
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• The last 4 or 5 days i've been getting my hands in there, initially i was just pushing the cap down. It tastes like a red so thats a good thing i guess!

Comment

• Ciliegiolo is related to Sangiovese (the Chianti grape), which isn't very dark either. So don't expect an inky dark wine.

I bet it will be tasty, though!
              Steve

Comment

• From tasting it now i'd say its going to be pretty good.

Comment

• Racked the merlot yesterday - 8.5 gallons from 8 boxes (will reduce with racking).

I got 2 2nd runs going - 5 gals of a light (1.060) strawberry/raspberry with the skins, and 3 gals of Wine no.1 with a bag of skins to give it colour. I have now taken the bag out and I hope there's enough yeast in the must to keep fermentation going.

Nothing has gone wrong yet - just a matter of time I suppose
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Pressing all of mine tomorrow morning

the Merlot is a fantastic colour, and because of the extended ferment due to cool temps the ciliegiolo is looking quite dark too.

Happy Days
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I hope ypu have better/bigger kit than me, otherwise you'll be there all day
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                        I hope ypu have better/bigger kit than me, otherwise you'll be there all day

Dur... It's Bob, All the kit, full of 'something'

Wish I could afford a water powered press..

Comment

• All the gear.........No Idea!

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            All the gear.........No Idea!

We use that expression too - e.g. someone who turns up on a Red Letter Day type experience, complete with race boots, fireproof balaclava etc.. Instructors tend to run in the opposite direction and hide
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Both of mine are in DJ's but I put the grapes back into a clean bucket and added 900g of Youngs Definitive Red Wine Kit Red wine Kit and water, took an SG reading and its only 1.020 - should I be adding suger to take the SG up to say 1.070 or is that about right for a second run of the grapes?

The second run of grapes formed a cap within about 4 hours of starting and I didnt add any nutrient etc.

Comment

• Hi Cash
                                Yes SG needs to be in the region of 1.070 and you will definately need nutrient in the 2nd run

regards
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X