Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    Hi Cash
    Yes SG needs to be in the region of 1.070 and you will definately need nutrient in the 2nd run

regards
    Bob
    Yes ... what he said
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
      Yes ... what he said
      Thanks chaps So...Just add some more sugar to take the SG upto about 1.070 or do I need another 900g of the grape concentrate as well and some more nutrient in there as well?

Comment

• Add sugar to 1.070 ish. Add at least 1tsp per gallon (of must, not skins) of nutrient.

To do this you'll need to drain the liquid off the skins again. The skins would have absorbed some though.

An easy(ish) way of doing this is to wait until the cap forms, then remove the skins with a jg, leaving (mainly) liquid behind.

Good luck!

EDIT: my calculator tells me this is around 630g of sugar per gallon or must (or 138g per litre)
        Last edited by goldseal; 20-09-2009, 11:15 PM.
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

my calculator tells me this is around 630g of sugar per gallon or must (or 138g per litre)
          Your about spot on there Pete

Added just over 1kg of sugar and 2.5 tps of nutrient as I have 2 gallons of must - SG is now just under 1.070 (which is fine as I just want a light Rose) and is bubbling well

Going to move it to the garage in the morning to give it a slow ferment - would move it now but the walk from the house to the garage means crossing the grass and the slugs in our garden seem love our grass at night and they stick to the bottom of your shoe big time

Comment

• 45 gallons Ciliegiolo and 51 gallons of Merlot pressed (in three hours...Karl came to help )

skins in tub awaiting me returning with grape concentrate for 30 gallons of 2nd run

whoo hoo life is good
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I have a funny feeling all my Ciliegiolo is quitting at 0.997 - 8. I don't want to add nutrient to it all, because if it doesn't kick off I'll have 12 gallons of nutrient-tasting wine

I think I might try it out on a 1/2gal topup DJ I have lying around - a bit of stirring + house-warmth first. If that works I'll try to sneak 2 carboys inside without Mrs G noticing
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• This is the colour of mine, its going to look like a rose once its cleared Gravity is 994.

Comment

• added to the skins:

10 litres pressed red grape juice
                  10 kilos sugar
                  2 Cantina Montepulciano kits
                  1 Cantina Primitivo Kit
                  1 Wineart valpolicella kit

32 gasllons at 1.070, added 32 tsp yeast nutrient....ferment started within a minute of adding the first kit

whoo hoo
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by danpug View Post

This is the colour of mine, its going to look like a rose once its cleared Gravity is 994.
                    I think it looks like a medium bodied Italian Red
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• As long as it ends up as some sort of red i'll be happy. Is yours darker than mine?

Comment

• No
                        mine looks about the same...the merlot however is very very dark
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hmmm ok. Well that makes me a bit happier!

Comment

I have a funny feeling all my Ciliegiolo is quitting at 0.997 - 8. I don't want to add nutrient to it all, because if it doesn't kick off I'll have 12 gallons of nutrient-tasting wine

I think I might try it out on a 1/2gal topup DJ I have lying around - a bit of stirring + house-warmth first. If that works I'll try to sneak 2 carboys inside without Mrs G noticing
                            well, I would say as a gut feeling, take a liter out of it, add a sprinkle (pinch) of nutrient and see what happens. I call this "feeding the fish" in winemaking. If it takes off, you know what to expect in your **gulp** 12 gallons of wine....
                            Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                            Twitter: VirtualWineO
                            Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

If that works I'll try to sneak 2 carboys inside without Mrs G noticing
                              ooh, just noticed...

Mrs. G won't notice if you offer her a nice bottle of last year's....
                              Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                              Twitter: VirtualWineO
                              Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

• Pressed today at 1.020, couldn't let it go any longer due to working commitments Got about 6 gallons from the 6 boxes of grapes, I will be adding a blend of French and American oak after the first racking.
                                National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Working...
                                X