GrapeFest 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solly View Post
    My Merlot is going great guns (just like Petes) nice thick cap which is being punched down 2 - 3 times a day.

The Ciliegiolo is just starting to "hiss" but only put the yeast in last night on that one, all the buckets are on the worktops near the boiler, a bit cooler in Kent today so about 23.C around the area of the boiler and no complaints from Mrs Solly as she seems to be enjoying the art of wine making since going to Grapefest
    Keep an eye on the SG, Cash. Those are the sort of temperatures I fermented at last year, and they were down to 1.002 in about 2.5 days!
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
      ????

Oh, and can anyone think of a good reason why I shouldn't use my Enolmatic to vacuum-rack to secondary? Obviously I can't just lift a 60 litre container onto a worktop and syphon off
      Yes, it'll still be very gassy as it's still fermenting, so will foam everywhere quite nicely. Make sure your camera is at the ready when you try it.

Mine are moving out to the garage today as it appears warmer the last 2 nights. Now the yeast has taken hold, hopefully that'll allow us to press on Monday hopefully, they are down to 1.070 ish this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
        Obviously I can't just lift a 60 litre container onto a worktop and syphon off
        Set the press up on the worktop, with the outlet hose into another container, then use a small scoop/measuring jug to get the grapes and juice through the press.

Comment

Do you think I should move it to a cooler place then? just checked and the garage is about 15.c at present.

Comment

Well what a great day my first ever grapefest i feel like i am just coming round it got a bit hazy later on on Saturday. I bet that vid is a bit noisy Martina. Thanks to everyone who went it was so nice to meet a few faces special thanks to Bob and Martina for looking after us (and his neighbours for putting up with us) to Ann-marie for the lovely food and to everyone who went had a great time I have pitched the yeasts did that Monday morning i have been getting my hands in there 3 times a day and giving them a right good old mash and push down(Great fun never done this before i am enjoying it immensley) there is not a lot happening but the grapes are starting to bubble so hopefully all is well

Comment

There is something very therapeutic about punching down fermenting grapes, isn't there? I love watching all the foam rise to the top.
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                there is not a lot happening but the grapes are starting to bubble so hopefully all is well
                The normal sign of fermentation is a definite cap of skins on top, rather than just a mush of skins and liquid. When you push the cap down, the juice will foam, as Steve says.

Beware, it can all look as if nothing is happening, but it can be fermenting very quickly.
                Pete the Instructor

Comment

I will be taking a reading when i get home tonight to make sure that all is well would you press at 1010

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                    would you press at 1010
                    Yes, around that.
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Cheers Pete

Comment

• My yeasts were pitched on Sunday & Monday respectively and the SG on both today is about 1070 so I'm happy with that.
                        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• well I managed to pitch the yeast thisaft, fermenters still in Bob's garage, got the keys for the new shop yesterday so been busy busy
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                            got the keys for the new shop yesterday so been busy busy

very nice it looks too
                            Attached Files
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Looks promising, but who's the scary looking fat guy in the photo? won't he scare any customers away?
                              HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• He isnt Scary.......
                                N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X