No announcement yet.

GrapeFest 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm ...... I can't get an sg for either reds.

The Merlot is the worst - a thick soup the colour of elderberry jam (A Good Thing), but if I try to filter the goo out to get an SG, it just blocks the fine mesh sieve I'm using, and what DOES go through is thick enough to make the hydrometer stick in whatever position you leave it

The Ciliegiolo is almost as bad.

I think I'll have to wait for a cap to form, push a syphon tube through and draw some of the liquid below.

I'm amazed at the colour of the Merlot - promising!
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• One word: refractometer.

I bet Karl will sell you one.
      Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
        One word: refractometer.

I bet Karl will sell you one.
        He probably would, but it would arrive AFTER I need it!
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
          got the keys for the new shop yesterday so been busy busy
          Good luck with the Shop Karl and hope everything goes well for you

Comment

• mine both 1.070 would say its because i like a slow ferment, but in reality its because its only 15 degrees up here, had trouble getting juice out as have taken 2 gallon from each batch for rose, so lots of skins not much juice
            http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
            http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• My rose is in the kitchen to give a more stable temperature, I had a sniff at the airlock this morning before I went to work, yeuck - megga eggy smell. I tipped some of the must into a glass and added half a tsp of Tronozymol, gave it a stir and tipped it back into the demi. About half an hour later it seemed to be smelling better so off to work I went. About 6 hrs later I rang the wife and asked her to have a sniff, she reported a very fruity, normal smell so I was quite chuffed. When I got home I had another sniff, eggy again so I repeated the dose of Tronozymol and once again things seen normal.

The reds out in the garage seem fine, perhaps something to do with lower temps and a slower fermentation, the rose is going like the clappers.
              National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• You lot have got me worried about having a slow ferment - so I am going to move the buckets to the garage in morning....just took a temperature reading and its 21.C in the Kitchen but the boiler will come on around 6am which will take the temperature around the boiler area to the 24 - 25.C mark.

It's hard to take a SG reading but the Ciliegiolo is around 1.070 but the Merlot I just cant get a reading with all Cap and everything else in the way and its 12.50 am and time for bed soon, so will try and spend a bit more time and get a SG reading from the Merlot in the morning.

Comment

• Shop looks good Karl when's the official opening and all them free wine tastings

Comment

• Originally posted by Darren View Post
                    Shop looks good Karl when's the official opening and all them free wine tastings
                    Saturday 26th of Sept, and ther'll be some tastings for sure
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Got my SGs - all in the 1.068 - 1.083 range.

I was expecting something a bit lower, but I think the fermentation is strengthening (the can is more solid, and I can HEAR it before breaking the cap).

Given that we are operating at the bottom end of the yeast's temperature range, I shouldn't be surprised.
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Mine are at around 1.062...thinking of turning the heaters on in the Winery

I "was" running mine withoutr sulphite additions to be sure MLF would take off....but bottled it and added sulphite, yeast never missed a beat

off to Leeds now to have my eyes Lasered......see you later (hopefully) so will likely be offline for a little while.
                        Last edited by lockwood1956; 16-09-2009, 09:51 AM.
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          off to Leeds now to have my eyes Lasered......see you later (hopefully) so will likely be offline for a little while.
                          Good luck, hope it goes well.

Comment

• Yes, good luck Bob.
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Incredible.....

Surgery 7 hours ago, sat in front of screen, vision a teeny bit fuzzy, but much better than I thought it would be at this stage.....apparently all will be normal in the morning....great stuff.
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Nice 1 Bob - I was going to have this done a few years ago but I chickened out.
                                National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Working...
                                X