No announcement yet.

GrapeFest 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rose had another dose of Tronozymol this morning and seems to be behaving now, sg 1.006. Took a reading from the Merlot out in the garage, 1.070 and fermenting slowly.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Yes temps a little low at the mo

punched cap at 6.30am this morning.....great start to the day
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard S View Post
        Nice 1 Bob - I was going to have this done a few years ago but I chickened out.
        Same here. The wife had it done and now claims it's done some wacky things to her depth perception.
        Steve

Comment

• Ciliegiolo smelling slightly eggy, but not rotten eggs (at least, I don't think so!). I'm going to leave it alone (apart from punching down) and see how it goes.

When I prepared the rosé must, i drew off twice the amount of must required, then left it for an hour or so. It separated into two layers, juice and sediment. I drew the juice off and fermented that, and consequently it has only dropped a 2 or 3mm thick layer at the bottom of the fermenter. I'm tempted to make sure it is fully topped-up and ferment out in the primary (a 1 gal Better Bottle). Any views on that?
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I think you will be ok with that Pete, it's what I have done. I think my Rose is about done as fermentation has come to a screeching halt.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
              Ciliegiolo smelling slightly eggy, but not rotten eggs (at least, I don't think so!). I'm going to leave it alone (apart from punching down) and see how it goes.
              A bit of nutrient sorted my smelly rose out.

Comment

• I'm already at about 1 - 1.5tsp per gallon. Would any more be a good idea?
                Pete the Instructor

Comment

• My stinky brew had to have 2tsp, it tastes ok.

Comment

• Added another 1/2tsp per gal to the large ciliegiolo fermenter which was exhibiting a bit of egginess.

I was thinking about fermenting the rosés out without racking, but I might be trying a batonnage experiment with one or both, so I thought I'd better get any trace of gross lees out. both have now been racked and topped up. I gave the Merlot a 1/2tsp of nutrient because there was a hint of egg.

I wish I'd taken another couple of gallons for rosé to try side-by-side batonnage and non-batonnage experiments. I might try with a spare gallon or red, but I don't know whether K1V is suitable for this.
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• checked sg this morning Ciliegiolo 1006 Merlot 1020 i think the Ciliegiolo needs pressing now will have to do it tonight i have a little presser this could be fun will try post some pics.

Comment

• Ciliegiolo at around 1.003! That's 1.080 to 1.003 in 2.5 days. Should have learned from last year, they may take time to get going, but when they do, they are like runaway trains

Luckily the Merlot is around 1.025, so that's 8 gallons less to worry about.

Racking stations! Racking stations!
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Mine were done to just under 1.020 last night so both got racked, as I'm on 12hr shifts over the weekend. They just need racking off the gross lees tonight when I get home.

Comment

• SG on mine 1.024
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Both of mine are around 1.010, and I've pressed a total of 6 gallons from each. Once the sediments settle and they're racked off, I expect to have a good 5 gallons of each.

The cheapo kit has some of the skins in, and is fermenting already, without my adding nutrient or yeast!

At what point should I add oak chips to the Merlot or Ciliwotsit? and how much should I add to say 5 gallons?

Pix to follow...
                              HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post

At what point should I add oak chips to the Merlot or Ciliwotsit? and how much should I add to say 5 gallons?

Pix to follow...
                                I would wait until ferment is over, then add while clearing is taking place giving you the chance to taste between rackings.
                                50 gram would be about right for a period of 2 to 6 weeks depending on oak preference, tasting often .
                                Not sure I would add oak to the Merlot though, it is more of a fruity red, or if you do go easy.

Any thoughts out there on oaking a Merlot
                                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X