No announcement yet.

How long till Grapefest 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our local Home Brew shop dont sell K1V-1116 or RC-212 , so I brought some Gervin GV2, which I am being told is made by the same people that make the Lalvin range...........used this strain (GV2) on last year's Grapefest 2009 grapes and didnt really have a problem, so was thinking of using this again.

With Grapefest still some 4 weeks away, we still have time to get properly prepared with the correct yeasts etc.

Comment

GV2 and Lalvin RC-212 are very similar, but are not "packaged" ( ) by the same people, but they do come from the same source....

the Lalvin K1V-1116 is a "killer" strain of yeast....which means it will take over the ferment, even in the presence of wild yeasts...its a great yeast which results in very fruity wines, and it will very rarely (never for me) fail to finish dry, it will go to 18% comfortably, although i think they only claim 16%
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Nice cap formed this morning.....

life is good

I processed the 5 boxes of grapes by hand....didn't want to mess up the crusher/destemmer for just 5 boxes.
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I think Karl has lalvin K1V-1116 and Lalvin D47 if anyone wants to use them at grapefest, he also stocks the Gervin range,

I'm sure if anyone wants some he will be happy to oblige
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            I think Karl has lalvin K1V-1116 and Lalvin D47 if anyone wants to use them at grapefest, he also stocks the Gervin range,

I'm sure if anyone wants some he will be happy to oblige
            Yes please!! After the discussions last year, and reading the results of others i think i need to use these this year.
            "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Is there a definite (or as near as) list of the available grapes yet? I saw the list earlier in this thread, just wondered if there was anything more concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
                Yes please!! After the discussions last year, and reading the results of others i think i need to use these this year.
                If Karl can't get K1V, let me know ASAP. Our local HBS sells it, so I could bring some up.

D47 is the same as Gervin F, by the way. Highly recommended (by me) if you intend doing any rosés.
                Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                  If Karl can't get K1V, let me know ASAP. Our local HBS sells it, so I could bring some up.

D47 is the same as Gervin F, by the way. Highly recommended (by me) if you intend doing any rosés.
                  Thanks for the offer Pete. If you're in the vicinity of your local HBS, can you grab me a couple of sachets of K1V please? Even if i dont use them at GF, i've got them for future use. Will sort you out with the appropriate renumeration on the 25th

Thanks dude - much appreciated!

Dave.
                  "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Will have a full range of lalvin & gervin yeasts, oak chips etc etc.
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

That's sorted then - well done Karl.

For those who weren't at GF last year, Karl brought a load of kit from his Homebrew shop, available for purchase on the day. If Karl isn't comfortable in publicising this, I am
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

That's sorted then - well done Karl.

For those who weren't at GF last year, Karl brought a load of kit from his Homebrew shop, available for purchase on the day. If Karl isn't comfortable in publicising this, I am
                        Top stuff chaps

Comment

Originally posted by danpug View Post
                          just wondered if there was anything more concrete.

The only thing certain is Ciliegiolo Sangiovese and Trebbiano.....

the Merlot cab and tempranillo are later harvest, but they should start arriving soon...

definitive list ASAP
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Ok.

Comment

karl will you have 65ltr fermenting bins and a couple of better bottles
                              http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                              http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Something which may be of interest:

I'm going to try to make a gallon of white merlot, basically by putting a box of merlot through the crusher-destemmer, then pressing the grapes very shortly afterwards. It will probably require a bit of acid, but then I'll make the wine as per a normal white.

If anyone else fancies trying this, Bob says he'll have a press available for us to use.
                                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X