No announcement yet.

How long till Grapefest 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sat in the little chef now! ETA 10.30 to 10.45. See you soon!
    "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

• Hi all, great day, enjoyed meeting you all again (some for the first time!) Looking forward to some good wine from this years crop and to next years Grapefest. How long to go ? !!!

Comment

• Post Grapefest 2010

Hi All
        I had a great time yesterday.
        I was great meeting everyone.
        Managed to get home by 09-00 this morning.
        Anyway I have just pressed the Trebiano grapes, I have got 5.5Lt of juice from the one box of grapes.
        The only problem is I think it rocket fuel as it is reading 16% PA on the refractometer & SG1110 by my Hydrometer for the pressed juice.
        I have added some water & got the SG down to 1090 now.
        Pitched some Gervin 5 yeast in it.
        I have also checked the Montepuliciano must but that is only 10% PA by the Refractometer & SG1070, I will have to do some chaptilisation to it unless someone can suggest another idea.
        I have used Gervin no. 2 in this one.

Anyway Bob & Martina thanks very much for the enjoyable day.

Silverfox

Comment

• Home safe and sound

Just got home. Thanks again to Bob and Martina; and to all who made yesterday such great fun. Will post recipe for the summer ale as promised later on as I'm off for a long soak in the bath

cheers!

Dave
          "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

• Just got home. Time for a quick cuppa, then back to the garage to draw off roses, pitch yeasts etc..

A thoroughly decent day or two
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Just finished pressing the Tempranillo and grenache.....pizza ordered, shower awaits

Had a great time
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 26-09-2010, 05:54 PM.
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• And I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more

nah nah der der, nah nah der der

ukric has it on video....fantastic
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Come on Ric, get it up on Youtube

Has anyone measured TA on anything yet?
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• just home and going for bath
                    http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                    http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• Thanks for all your help Bob & Martina, got home at about Midday , all my wines are in the garage - I have chossen a slower ferment al lower temps this year, hence the reason for the wines ending up in the garage rather then the kitchen.

My Trebbiano was standing at 1100, hope I have done this right added 4lts of water to get SG down to 1075 and that was to 2 gallons of pressed juice

Comment

• I'm getting stuck in on the elderberry as we speak. TA 3.1ppt.

Not 100% sure on how to proceed, ut I can assure you that I will be doing it sober. and not dancing. or singing. Definaitly no singing.
                        Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                        Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                        -Police Squad

Comment

• Right, MAJOR advice needed

Just realised that i didnt buy any K1V or any oak from Karl yesterday! So, to allow me to procure said items, can i put the White Juice and the 2 lots of red juice/skins into the freezer until i can sort things out. I take it you can, as Pete had some at Bob's frozen.....

So, what steps do i need to take before freezzing (if any). Have racked the white juice off the crud, so thats not an issue? Take it i dont need to re-sulphite? Or if i do, then how much per gallon of must?

Cheers again peeps

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                            Has anyone measured TA on anything yet?

Done it with my Ritchies test kit,

Merlot, 3.5 ppt
                            Monte 3.7 ppt,

Or.. 3.5, 3.7 ml of acid added to make the colour turn, Ritchies express this as sulphuric don't they? so the tartaric will be a bit hgher?

What should the red wine be? I thought it was 4 to 5ppt? with whites a bit higher.

Also, pressed the white grapes, and they can settle overnight, then can rack off and add yeast to the clean juice.

Will go and draw some juice off when the kids are in bed and test the sg.
                            Last edited by Rich; 26-09-2010, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
                              What should the red wine be? I thought it was 4 to 5ppt? with whites a bit higher.
                              Cheers Rich.

3.9 - 5.2 according to my literature.

I'll check one of mine now, just to confirm your measurements before I lob a load of tartaric in.

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
                              can i put the White Juice and the 2 lots of red juice/skins into the freezer until i can sort things out.
                              I don't see any reason why not. I don't think you'll need any extra sulphite.
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                                Come on Ric, get it up on Youtube
                                Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                                And I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more

nah nah der der, nah nah der der

ukric has it on video....fantastic

Just editing....watch this space

I've done nothing yet..... gonna be a long night!
                                With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Working...
                                X