Grapefest 2010 Ferments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for Steve K.

You might remember we talked about fermentation temperatures. When and whee do you measure the temperature (e.g. Justbelow the cap before punching down, just after punch down)?
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Pete, I keep a floating thermometer in each fermenter, and check it before punch downs.
      Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve. I guess I can just stick the thermometer into the top few inches of the cap.
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
          Thanks Steve. I guess I can just stick the thermometer into the top few inches of the cap.
          I did wonder about this. When punching down the cap It always amazed me how hot the bottom layer of the cap gets compared to the grape sludge underneath and the grapes trying valiantly to escape out the top of the bucket
          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
          -Police Squad

Comment

I'm struggling to get much temperature into the must. However, things are coming along. Using my super-new refractometer and a few spreadsheets, the red SGs are:

Tempranillo : 1.021
            Merlot: 1.027
            Monte: 1.043
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

I'm starting to think about second runs.

For those who are interested, here is my Black Cherry Port recipe:
              BLACK CHERRY PORT This is my version of the black cherry port Rich and I brought to Grapefest 2010. There is no point giving an exact recipe because the grape skins and the yeast used to ferment the red grapes will vary year by year. This port was made very much by 'feel'. It relies on you having a quantity of red grape
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

My Tempranillo is starting to smell (a bit like eggs) so I added 2 tps of nutrient, but the smell is still there + fermentation has slowed right down but I never had a chance this morning to measure the SG - I used Lalvin D47

Comment

Cash, does it smell like eggs, or rotten eggs? An eggy smell is quite common, a rotten egg smell indicates H2S. If the latter ...

You have already added nutrient, so give it a good stir. The aeration helps drive off the H2S, and should reduce the stress on the yeast.
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

Good advice from Pete....

you mean Trebbiano Solly?

give it a day to feed on the nutrient, and as long as ferment isnt over, stirring may help release some of the smell....

keep us posted

will check on mine this morning, although because it is so cold in here, the fermentation is progressing very slowly, but I am quite happy about that.
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I'm starting to think about second runs.

For those who are interested, here is my Black Cherry Port recipe:
                      http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?p=76420
                      I too am getting set up for a second run. My (RIch's) approach will be to harvest the grape skins and pour a Vintners Reserve kit over them to continue the fermentation. (This was on Rich's recommendation).

On the off chance that the postman isn't able to get the kit to me on time, then I'll be freezing the skins on the short term until the kit arrives.

From what Rich has told me, the remaining yeast on the skins should be sufficienet to get the kit to go like a rocket.

After the kit is done I'm planning having a crack at turning the skins into flour.
                      Last edited by koomber; 30-09-2010, 10:25 AM. Reason: Make it clealr that this is Rich told me about this.
                      -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
                        From what Rich has told me, the remaining yeast on the skins should be sufficienet to get the kit to go like a rocket.
                        He is indeed correct, the start of fermentation will be almost instantaneous.......add wine kit and step back!
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          He is indeed correct, the start of fermentation will be almost instantaneous.......add wine kit and step back!
                          What do you think the best plan would be if I freeze the skins? Let them thaw? Pour the kit on whilst still frozen? Will there still be viable yeast on the skins if it is feozen
                          -Police Squad

Comment

As soon as they thaw they will ferment, you have to work very very hard to kill an active colony of yeast

skins I froze in Sept 2008 i took out of freezer in Sept 2009 and thawed overnight, popped them into a wine kit at room temp and they fired up immediately, and ran through to finishing dry (0.990) without trouble....

be sure to take care of acid and nutrient additions.

regards
                            Bob
                            Last edited by lockwood1956; 30-09-2010, 10:35 AM.
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

If you freeze, I would wait until the skins get back up to room temperature before adding the kit, to avoid shocking the yeast.
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

If you freeze, I would wait until the skins get back up to room temperature before adding the kit, to avoid shocking the yeast.
                                ...and avoid looking directly at the skins, his face might shock them too... or talking to them.... or singing to them...
                                HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Working...
                                X