Grapefest 2010 Ferments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops... noticed you said Wednesday.

24 hours would be fine. 48 is probably fine, but I have to admit that I would be a little nervous, too.

No way you can press tonight I suppose?
    Steve

Comment

• Thanks Steve.

I can't apply any cling film because I'm 100 miles from home now. The fermenters are almost sealed. I think I'll press them when I get home tomorrow night rather than wait until wednesday morning. I'm sure I have a 6 pack of Red Bull somewhere
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
        Thanks Steve.

I can't apply any cling film because I'm 100 miles from home now. The fermenters are almost sealed. I think I'll press them when I get home tomorrow night rather than wait until wednesday morning. I'm sure I have a 6 pack of Red Bull somewhere
        There ya go!

Is Mrs. Goldseal at home? Ring her up and have her apply the cling film. If not, 24 hours won't be a problem. I pressed a batch on Saturday where the cap had been sunk for almost three days (no good excuse other than I didn't feel like getting the press dirty until the weekend).
        Steve

Comment

• No, mrs G is in Croydon, apparently enjoying herself .

You've put my mind at rest though - thank you
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Well the cover of CO2 is still there...

i am also in a quandry regarding pressing, merlot is still at 1.024, can either press tomorrow or wait till Friday, colour extraction is fab, but wed will be 11 days on the skins, i'm a tad worried about too much extraction, and it having to age too long...

hmmm
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I bottled it (excuse the pun) at 1.023 and pressed last weekend. It would have been last weekend or this weekend and I am glad I didn't wait. As you said colour extraction is really good.
              Simon
              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                ...wed will be 11 days on the skins, i'm a tad worried about too much extraction, and it having to age too long...
                With Cab or Syrah there might be cause for concern, but I honestly think you'll be ok with Merlot.

I was telling Pete I had a Cab on the skins for 12 days last year and it isn't near as tannic as I thought it'd be. Just did an egg white fining and it came out silky smooth, with just the right amount of grip on the finish.
                Last edited by NorthernWiner; 05-10-2010, 04:03 PM. Reason: fat fingers
                Steve

Comment

• By the way. I have 500 lbs Washington State Merlot coming in on the 23rd. So we'll have to do a vintage comparison somewhere down the road.
                  Steve

Comment

• Well, I'm back, bu unfortunately I can't keep my eyes open. I have clingfilmed the Tempranillo and the Monte, and I'll be up bright and early to press.

Goodnight
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                      By the way. I have 500 lbs Washington State Merlot coming in on the 23rd. So we'll have to do a vintage comparison somewhere down the road.
                      now that sounds like a plan!
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Tempranillo and Monte racked.

Quite disappointed with the yield from the Tempranillo - 9.6 litres from 3 boxes. However it tastes quite promising.

Approx 5.6 gals form the Monte, from 5 boxes. Not sure what to make of this one yet taste-wise (early days).

I think they survived the couple of days' neglect though.

Tempranillo rosé underway, Monte rosé to follow soon.

Merlot - no time for this one because I'm off to another event in Lincolnshire in a few hours, and it'll take me most of that time to clean up the kitchen . It is still going, so this one will be pressed on Friday hopefully.
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Out of interest whats everyones Trebb SG at? Mines outside in the cold but still going down faster than I would like.
                          With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

• From 89 boxes of Tempranillo and grenache (69 tempranillo and 20 grenache) I got 491 litres (108 gallons)

this will reduce with racking losses obviously!
                            Last edited by lockwood1956; 06-10-2010, 07:51 PM.
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• cherry wines/port going ok have 4 gal added different amounts of oak and topped up with concentrate fron a california cab sav kit
                              http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                              http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                                From 89 boxes of Tempranillo and grenache (69 tempranillo and 20 grenache) I got 491 litres (108 gallons)

this will reduce with racking losses obviously!

Bob, I'm always amazed by the quantity of wine you make, how do you store it all?

I'd love to have the space to make a 10th of what your producing but I have a few hobbies and limited space

Comment

Working...
                                X